Jaebo Dosing Pumps - Reliability for Nano Top Off

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been seeing this on the FS Forum a bit, and wanted to see if people that have used them can chime in.

I have a small 5 gallon tank, and this winter I will be away form the tank for about 10 days (currently I manually top off the tank). I don't have anyone that can topoff for me, and I"m wary of having an ATO setup for the tank that would overflow.

My thinking is to get a doser than can does the 1/8 cup that I evap daily over a few minutes 10-30 minutes once per day and keep everything running smoothly for me.

Can anyone speak to their reliability. Grand scheme of things I only NEED it to work while I'm away, and can go back to manual dosing when I get home...but if it ends up working I"ll probably keep it going.

I'd much rather spend say $60 for something instead of $150+ for an ATO that could fail on my nano.

I appreciate all feedback!

Thanks!

1695057624789.png

zfisk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dosing 2 part through a Jebao for about 2 years without any issues. Wish you the best of luck!

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The advantage of the ATO is that it automatically adapts to changing conditions in your home. Might be possible to tune it well enough for a 5 day absence but a real ATO would work better long term.

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The advantage of the ATO is that it automatically adapts to changing conditions in your home. Might be possible to tune it well enough for a 5 day absence but a real ATO would work better long term.
Totally get what you're saying, but I've only got a small little 5 gallon tank. So I'd be very scared of an ATO sticking on, and next thing you know it dumps a whole 5 gallon bucket of fresh RO into the tank.

Over the last 7 months, the tank has been really consistent with evap. It's pretty much consistently 1/8 cup daily, so I'd be comfortable breaking that down into mL, and then just does that daily.

I would give it at least a 2 week trial run before I go away on vacation, but feel like for the size of tank I have, this would be the safest bet for top off.

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally get what you're saying, but I've only got a small little 5 gallon tank. So I'd be very scared of an ATO sticking on, and next thing you know it dumps a whole 5 gallon bucket of fresh RO into the tank.

Over the last 7 months, the tank has been really consistent with evap. It's pretty much consistently 1/8 cup daily, so I'd be comfortable breaking that down into mL, and then just does that daily.

I would give it at least a 2 week trial run before I go away on vacation, but feel like for the size of tank I have, this would be the safest bet for top off.
that is a risk that we all take and its worth it imo. If you want an ato that is super unlikely to ever fail, get something like this :
818RynfZeEL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I've had one of these for a while and they work great as long as you keep them clean. If you want an extra level of safety buy something like the "single nano" from autotopoff.com. The ATO power source would connect to this, so if the switch on it was triggered, it would turn the whole ato off.

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is a risk that we all take and its worth it imo. If you want an ato that is super unlikely to ever fail, get something like this :
818RynfZeEL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I've had one of these for a while and they work great as long as you keep them clean. If you want an extra level of safety buy something like the "single nano" from autotopoff.com. The ATO power source would connect to this, so if the switch on it was triggered, it would turn the whole ato off.
Is that a kit, or something that you put together yourself? I would be curious to look into that.

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go for the Kamoer ato one 2 ( i think thats the name) it has a low and high level optical sensor. it works great and is well priced . it would work well it your situation. I am very happy with it

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back