ATO reliability

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the ReefBreeders Prism up and running for 2 or 3 years without an issue, then the pump died. Since the unit itself was so cheap, I bought another and within 6-ish months the pump died. So I bit the bullet and got the Osmolator 3. So far, so good, it's been up and running for 3-4 months without any issues. Of course, the Reefbreeders did the same, so only time will tell.

Triton_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just replaced a 12 year old Tunze 3155 (a few pumps in that timespan), but did the job well without much fuss. The pump MOSFET burned up and its way too old to repair at this point. I'm unsure about their newer design and liked the connectivity of the RedSea ATO+ and app integration, so decided to run with the RedSea setup now. So far it's worked well out of the box, longevity TBD.

tunze 2011.png

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the hydor smart level ato hooked up to a small pond pump. Worked for nearly 5 years before I replaced it with 2 float sensors and my GHL profilux.

The hydor has fixed temperature sensors so that was a negative for customization, but positive for ease of use. The alarm sensor was too close IMO and would trigger if i had to work in the tank and caused the level to go up the slightest.

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze ozmolators for me but I run a lot of kalk and I was having to clean the optical sensor weekly. I added a power head to the return chamber and I haven’t cleaned it in 6 months.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefBreeders EXO model. Running for 3 years so far

Grumpyfish64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze osmolator for me too. Just replaced the pump after around 8 years. Only messed up once, and that was my fault because I didn’t clean the sensor. I’m about to start a new tank, and the Tunze is what I’ll be using.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MagTool ATO it worded great for a month and the pump burned up, I am trying to get it resolved , I called Amazon to get it replaced buy so far nothing, they promised to call back.
My Tunze Nano ATO constantly overflowed my sump, but would work flawlessly outside in a old tank trying to figure what the problem is, I think it does not like SW.
So I am inATO heck right now.

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using red seas ato since it has came out. Just cleaned it as my kalk was crusting over the contacts. So far it has been great I also like how you can manually add water if you’re not home through the WiFi.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back