I’ve been doing this how long? Let’s try this again. My IM SR-120 Build.

icedgxe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re here, strap yourself in for a boring ride haha. May the odds be ever in your favor if you choose to continue reading.

I’ve found myself setting up a new tank yet again. It seems like I’ve been doing this a lifetime now. A little background on my previous tanks first. I warned you…can’t say otherwise. It all started with a 60g freshwater tank that changed several times over its life. Then shortly after setting that up, my first saltwater tank was born. A 90g with compact fluorescent lighting and many learning curves lol. I ran both at the same time, but within a year or so, we moved to a new house and my 125g was born. I moved the freshwater (Mbuna Cichlids) to the new house as well. Even with several issues through its life, it was by far my most successful reef. Life happened and I broke that tank down after about 5 or so years. The cichlid tank stayed running for a few years after that and it too was dismantled.

Fast forward a few years and my wife gave me a IM Nuvo 10 for my birthday. I set it up when we moved to a new city and were in our apartment waiting for our house to be built. It was my first nano and was pretty successful. I still have that tank running as an observation tank to this day. It’s about 7 1/2 years old now. I knew that I was going upgrade once the new house was done so I started gathering some equipment such as a skimmer etc. in preparation for a new tank. About 8 months after moving into the new house, I set up a Cadlights Versa 42g. I was pretty impressed with the system and it did pretty well. I kept it pretty simple and had good results. After 3 years, our first child, and then COVID, we made the decision to move back home closer to family. I sold the 42g, kept a few corals I wanted, and transferred them into the Nuvo 10 with a single piece of rock.

Once settled in the new house, the search began for the next tank. With a child and a busy life, I wanted to get back to basics and keep things simpler. The KISS method fits my lifestyle well. With this in mind, I decided to go with an AIO and landed on the IM SR-80. This is the tank I have running currently and I love it for the most part. It’s been pretty successful for the level of attention I’ve given it. Back in November, my wife and I started discussing rearranging the house as we don’t really ever use the formal dining room. We had originally thought about putting the SR-80 there, but ultimately decided against it and we actually finished decorating the dining room in November of ‘22. Well, back to the original idea of putting a tank in the dining room, removing the table, and making it a sort of reading, aquarium, relax with a beer room. We should have listened to our original instincts. Lesson: go with your gut. Now, the 80’s only been running for a couple of years and the thought of breaking it down, moving it, and setting it all up in the same day was not appealing to me. I spoke to my wife and we ultimately decided a new tank would make it much easier. Usually I would be really excited at the notion, but the work involved along with disturbing the stability of the inhabitants had me nervous/unsure.

Que the shopping for a new tank. There were tons of Black Friday sales going on and I had a few tanks in mind, but I finally decided on an IM SR-120. I thought about going back to a sumped system, but have really been enjoying the simplicity that an AIO gives me. Back to basics is the aim for me. Enough talking, here are a few pictures of previous setups and I’ll start updating the thread with the new build soon.

125g

IMG_8737.jpeg

NUVO 10

IMG_1206.jpeg

Versa 42g

IMG_0418.jpeg

SR-80

IMG_7801.jpeg

Last edited:

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re here, strap yourself in for a boring ride haha. May the odds be ever in your favor if you choose to continue reading.

I’ve found myself setting up a new tank yet again. It seems like I’ve been doing this a lifetime now. A little background on my previous tanks first. I warned you…can’t say otherwise. It all started with a 60g freshwater tank that itself changed several time. Then shortly after setting that up, my first saltwater tank was born. A 90g with compact fluorescent lighting and many learning curves lol. I ran both at the same time. Within a year or so, we moved to a new house and my 125g was born. I moved the freshwater (albums Cichlids) to the new house as well. Even with several issues through its life, it was by far my most successful reef. Life happened and I broke that tank down after about 5 or so years. The cichlid tank stayed running for a few years after that and it too was dismantled.

Fast forward a few years and my wife gave me a IM Nuvo 10 for my birthday. I set it up when we moved to a new city and were in our apartment waiting for our house to be built. It was my first nano and was pretty successful. I still have that tank running as an observation tank to this day. It’s about 7 1/2 years old now. I knew that was going upgrade once the new house was done so I started gathering some equipment such as a skimmer etc. in preparation for a new tank. About 8 months after moving into the new house, I set up a Cadlights Versa 42g. I was pretty impressed with the system and it did pretty well. I kept it pretty simple and had good results. After 3 years, our first child, and then COVID, we made the decision to move back home closer to family. I sold the 42g, kept a few corals I wanted, and transferred them into the Nuvo 10 with a single piece of rock.

Once settled in the new house, the search began for the next tank. With a child and a busy life, I wanted to get back to basics and keep things simpler. The KISS method fits my lifestyle well. With this in mind, I decided to go with an AIO and landed on the IM SR-80. This is the tank I have running currently and I love it for the most part. It’s been pretty successful for the level of attention I’ve given it. Back in November, my wife and I started discussing rearranging the house as we don’t really ever use the formal dining room. We had originally thought about putting the SR-80 there, but ultimately decided against it and we actually finished decorating the dining room in November of ‘22. Well, back to the original idea of putting a tank in the dining room, removing the table, and making it a sort of reading, aquarium, relax with a beer room. We should have listened to our original instincts. Lesson: go with your gut. Now, the 80’s only been running for a couple of years and the thought of breaking it down, moving it, and setting it all up in the same day was not appealing to me. I spoke to my wife and we ultimately decided a new tank would make it much easier. Usually I would be really excited at the notion, but the work involved along with disturbing the stability of the inhabitants had me nervous/unsure.

Que the shopping for a new tank. There were tons of Black Friday sales going on and I had a few tanks in mind, but I finally decided on an IM SR-120. I thought about going back to a sumped system, but have really been enjoying the simplicity that AIO gives me. Back to basics is the aim for me. Enough talking, here are a few pictures of previous setups and I’ll start updating the thread with the new build soon.

125g

IMG_8737.jpeg

NUVO 10

IMG_1206.jpeg

Versa 42g

IMG_0418.jpeg

SR-80

IMG_7801.jpeg
Great looking tanks!

OP
OP
icedgxe

icedgxe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Hopefully this one turns out how I envision.

Once the decision was made on the new tank, it was time to pull the trigger and spend the money (not always an easy task haha). Up until the day I ordered, I was still a bit unsure between the 120 and the Waterbox Frag 155. One of the main reasons was due to the wait time. The IM was MTO and the WB would only be roughly a 2-3 week wait. Well, on November 17th I got an email from IM advertising their Black Friday sales and at the top of the email it said select models in stock, ships within 72hrs. I looked at the list and lo and behold, the SR-120 was on the list. While on our way to pick up dinner, I called IM to verify and they confirmed that they did in fact have them in stock and ready to go. That was all I needed to hear and that night, I placed the order for the 120 with a white stand. The (hopefully) short wait began. With the larger tank on the herizon, I knew I would need a few more items, so why not take advantage of more Black Friday sales. Queue more shopping!

First stop, Premium aquatics for some sand and rock. They were running 40% off Tropic Eden Morroca rock so I picked up an irregular piece, an arch, 2 minis, and a shelf. I like a shallow sand bed and wanted to try something different this time. I used meso flakes in the 80, but was looking for something with a bit smaller grain. I decided on TE Tonga pink and ordered a 30lb bag. Also added an Eheim 100w heater. I’ll be bringing the current 150w over from the 80 as well.

Next stop, BRS which was running their preferred refer event. Spoiler alert, I didn’t win anything, but that’s ok, thanks anyways! I picked up a box of Red Sea blue and MicroBacter Start XLM. My wallet and I were both quite tired at this point. Lighting and shipping stories to come!

Last edited:
OP
OP
icedgxe

icedgxe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking a step back to August, I noticed the center 360 on my 80 was flickering for about 30 seconds to a minute at the exact same time everyday. It happened during ramp down. I bought the Kessils in 2021 for a really good deal. The person I bought them from claimed they were a few years old, but I knew that couldn’t be true for the price. I knew I would eventually upgrade, so when the flickering started, I emailed Kessil to see just how old they were. To my surprise, they were even older than I imagined. The two outer lights were manufactured in January of 2017 and the center light was manufactured in September 2014. At this point, the light search began. I am a budget reefer at heart and knew I didn’t want to break the bank, so Straton’s (I wish) were out of the picture. I had been seeing some more talk of Illumagic/Dalua lights and started researching a bit more. After tons of research and comparing different setup choices, I noticed the Blaze X minis were on sale at Dalua. I decided that’s the route I was going to go. I order 4 X minis and knew I could always expand if I decided to upgrade tanks. I also wanted to address any shading on the front side of corals as well. I already had a 36” Quanta Meso blue, so I decided to order another and some Vitamini mounts that I was hoping to make work with the Quanta’s. Everything arrived quickly and in great shape. Then I turned my attention to mounting. To be continued…

IMG_8035.jpeg IMG_8036.jpeg IMG_8025.jpeg IMG_8026.jpeg

OP
OP
icedgxe

icedgxe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I got the lights in, it was time to make a mount. I wanted to make one similar to what I already had for my Kessils which was an Orphek tank mount with a custom aluminum rectangle tube rail. This time I needed a 4 ft rail (since I thought it was going on the 80 at the time) and I could only find one that was a thicker aluminum. After mounting everything on the rail, I didn’t feel comfortable with the weight being supported by the Orphek mounts attached to the glass. I purchased have duty l brackets that would perfectly center the light above the display. Luckily enough, there are studs right where I needed them. I bought large cabinet screws, finished drilling mounting holes in the rail, and painted it. I also bought plastic end caps for the rail. It was ready to mount…and then we decided on buying a new tank. I didn’t want to mount the lights, get everything acclimated, and then have to remove the lights only to remount and stress everything out, again. I decided to hold off and use the rail as designed for the new tank, even though it would be 6ft. More on that decision later.

Attachments

• IMG_8005.jpeg
    IMG_8005.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8062.jpeg
    IMG_8062.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8063.jpeg
    IMG_8063.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8068.jpeg
    IMG_8068.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 3
  • 72141005121__EC68C302-0ED9-4495-8F13-B0DF9B0E7A0D.jpeg
    72141005121__EC68C302-0ED9-4495-8F13-B0DF9B0E7A0D.jpeg
    432.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8106.jpeg
    IMG_8106.jpeg
    363.2 KB · Views: 5

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back