ATO reliability

Viperdragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Ice Cap ato been running strong for 2 years now. Have even done quite a few skimmer water changes with it at 5 gallons a pop and works great

Armt350

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Tunze, the pump fails on me about every 3 years so I keep spares. The sensor and control unit are going on a decade old now though.

Its also likely the pumps are failing since I have a habit of letting my ATO reservoir empty out and my 2 part dosing has a habit of encrusting the pump.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze sometimes gets a bad rap, but I think only because of the amount that are sold compared to others. And people tend to only complain when they have an issue.

Something like red sea tanks.
And people don't read directions, or take advantage of the excellent customer service Roger provides.

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went with tunze 3155 based off recommendations on here. Been going good for 2 months now on the new setup but only time will tell (fingers crossed)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And people don't read directions, or take advantage of the excellent customer service Roger provides.
@rvitko is top notch when it comes to repairs and customer service. Doesn't matter if the unit was bought yesterday, or 10 years old.

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been through a few and end up with osomolator even though the optical sensor needs to be soaked in vinegar every few weeks

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard good things about the Avast product.

That said, I use gravity and a float valve. The RO/DO container has float switches for latching level control to fill it when empty and also an internal float valve as a fail-safe. Bot the container and sump have high level fail-safe float switches to disable the RO/RI in the event of high water. My RO/DI container is 5 gallons. So WORST case i get 5 gal of RO/DI in a 125 gallon system if the float valve in the tank fails (it has not in 20 years).

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Avast ATO on one of the tanks at school, thing works like a champ. It's been on that tank about 4-5 years now. Earlier this year one of the students was pulling the power chord out for the pump and broke the soldering inside, contacted them with a picture and the told me what to solder back together - back to working like normal in under an hour.

I've also used the Neptune PMUP as an ATO and the system works well but I only get a 12-18 months out of the pumps themselves even with regular cleaning/maintenance.

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 2 Tunze ATO's. 1 had an optical sensor fail after about 1.5 years but Tunze repaired it under warranty within about a week. So far the other one has been fine and the repaired one has been fine. Having a Tunze rep on here helped expedite my situation as he was able to tell me exactly what they needed to quickly resolve the matter.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Autotopoff. Com has been working for me for about 10 years now. Yea 10 years. Double float switch.
Same. Mine has been around since the 00s and I didn't remember what it was till I saw this post lol. Mine is the single float and its been great. Had to change the auto lifter pump a couple years ago bc the plastic nozzle on it got brittle and I accidently broke it off when putting the hose into the top off bucket.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used Spectrapure for over 20 years. The first 15 years or so I used a liter meter 3 system for ATO. About 5 years ago I moved my liter meter 3 system to do AWC and 2 part and starting using their high precision ATO system.

The only problem I’ve had is when I dumped my liter meter 3 into a vat of kalk. Otherwise no issues.

Expensive system but reliable and low maintenance.

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze Osmolator as been the most reliable for me

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hasn’t been a long time but since I learned I didn’t seat the sensors, my Tunze 3155 hasn’t had any issues for 3 months. Just got a FZ Aqua for the biocube since it’s few that will fit but been lazy to set it up. I can report the supplied tube was kinked to the point of unusable so just bought a new tube today, boiled it, and banded it to a glass to shape it through the back of tank. Needed something really just for when I’m away. Planning to place sensor and tube in 3rd chamber after the filter in case the floss gets full and throws it off. (Unless anyone has better idea).

Attachments

• IMG_1409.jpeg
    IMG_1409.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1408.jpeg
    IMG_1408.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1407.jpeg
    IMG_1407.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 10

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze sometimes gets a bad rap, but I think only because of the amount that are sold compared to others. And people tend to only complain when they have an issue.

Something like red sea tanks.
When you’re selling in volume, it’s gonna look like % of more fails.

Babe Ruth - held both records I believe for home runs and strike-outs? Please don’t come for me if I’m slightly off on this example - you get my point.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you’re selling in volume, it’s gonna look like % of more fails.

Babe Ruth - held both records I believe for home runs and strike-outs? Please don’t come for me if I’m slightly off on this example - you get my point.
true, more people post when they are unhappy then when there's never an issue.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without bashing any manufacturers, I have gone through several ATO units/ brands and cant understand why many are short term reliable and then simply stop working. I have replaced or cleaned sensors and replaced small pumps to no avail. My current one when the sensor is in water and water as risen above sensor continues to ru, I have tried 5 different types and am now eyeing the Hydrofill by IM which utilizes conductivity sensors.

Which brands have others found reliable?
Has anyone had a unit they found reliable for lengthy time as in years?

I find the gravity-fed ATO is most reliable.

No sensors or pumps to clean. As long as the reservoir has water and the float is dialed in, it works.

I've had this setup for many years; I feed all of my tanks off of (1) 40 gallon brute.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back