ATO reliability

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Without bashing any manufacturers, I have gone through several ATO units/ brands and cant understand why many are short term reliable and then simply stop working. I have replaced or cleaned sensors and replaced small pumps to no avail. My current one when the sensor is in water and water as risen above sensor continues to ru, I have tried 5 different types and am now eyeing the Hydrofill by IM which utilizes conductivity sensors.

Which brands have others found reliable?
Has anyone had a unit they found reliable for lengthy time as in years?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Year and a half so far with a el cheapo off Amazon.. Aqua auto and pumped over a thousand gallons of kalk through it with zero issues… my favorite was always the jbj top offs but they’re discontinued… I have a brand new tunzee as a back up cause I figure the Amazon special would fail but it hasn’t this far..

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Year and a half so far with a el cheapo off Amazon.. Aqua auto and pumped over a thousand gallons of kalk through it with zero issues… my favorite was always the jbj top offs but they’re discontinued… I have a brand new tunzee as a back up cause I figure the Amazon special would fail but it hasn’t this far..
JBJ was my only long term reliable unit

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without bashing any manufacturers, I have gone through several ATO units/ brands and cant understand why many are short term reliable and then simply stop working. I have replaced or cleaned sensors and replaced small pumps to no avail. My current one when the sensor is in water and water as risen above sensor continues to ru, I have tried 5 different types and am now eyeing the Hydrofill by IM which utilizes conductivity sensors.

Been rolling with the hydrofil by IM since 2020 and the pump and sensors are still the originals. Sensors are usually good for about 3 months before I need to clean off the sensor probes

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have been using the float type since the time shifted to Cade.

But for my earlier set ups , Tunze Osmolators have proved their worth.

Thanks

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have been using the Red Sea ReefATO+ since it came out about 9 months ago without issue. It is working well on my 900L tank.
This is one I am considering

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sound like many happy Tunze owners

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allenh427
Community Member
My $200 Tunze died after 1.5 years so I bought a few of the MagTool ATO's from Amazon for <$50 a piece. Have a couple on standby just in case they die. It's the same sensor that most ATO's use these days.

Just checked those on Amazon and I'm using the same thing with different label. Has worked flawlessly for about 2 years now

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze Nano Osmolator for close to 3 years across 2 tanks.
Only issues I've had are:
1. Fried the circuit board with a minor flood -- Tunze repaired for free + shipping.
2. Animals interfering with float -- urchin pulling float down a couple of times and just recently a couple of micro brittle stars decided to wedge themselves into the float.

I consider it to be reliable, overall, so far.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JBJ was my only long term reliable unit
Same. I just woke up to air being pumped out of the return on one of my tanks yesterday. Ended up having to clean the optical sensor on the tunze. I always found it odd that they use an optical sensor as the main but a good ol float switch as the back up lol. Give me float switches any day. This one on one of my jbj units has been inside this sump for going on 7 years and has never been cleaned. Gotta a love a piece of womens stocking to keep crap put.
PXL_20240227_003447836.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back