Parameters
Alk 8.2
Sal 34.8-35 ppb
Cal 560 ppm
Mag 1580ppm
NO3 0-2 ppm
NO2 > 5ppm
Temp 71°f

Just recently cycled a week ago. Thought my numbers looked good as of today. Lps was having a good time until my power tripped in my house and my thermostat was oem set to 77°f and cranked my water temp to 78°f two days ago. I was worried it would affect the hammer coral and I think it has. I did coral rx dip about an hour ago and tried feeding,
IMG_20221220_180901.jpg
bone is clearly showing and I've got a slime building up around the receded feeders. I expect the worse but I'm hoping for the best any advice will help

OP
OP
Wrothgar

Wrothgar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it acclimated well I had a small frag that has been doing well at that temp only started receding after my temperature spike from my thermostat bugging out. Here's a picture of two days ago.
Screenshot_20221220184541.png

OP
OP
Wrothgar

Wrothgar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your temperature seems a bit low at 71. I always run around 77-78.

Also how consistent are your paramaters. Usually large swings in alkalinty, phosphate, and magnesium can cause euphilliya to retract.
Nothing has changed but the occasional nitrite going up naturally and the more concerning temp change

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Agreed, 71 is practically a temperate tank. I run mine at 76 and I think that is lower than most that dial in at 78. Also, you shouldn't have nitrites. Since it is a new tank, I think you might have either jumped the shark in getting corals right away or your need to be obsessive about parameters to make it work out.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Most wait until the cycle is complete before adding corals right away. I'm not going to judge, because for all I know you are using rocks/media from another tank or something, but ammonia, nitrites, and swings aren't good for corals and more than anything, it might be best to save your money and take your time so you don't have losses.

OP
OP
Wrothgar

Wrothgar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, 71 is practically a temperate tank. I run mine at 76 and I think that is lower than most that dial in at 78. Also, you shouldn't have nitrites. Since it is a new tank, I think you might have either jumped the shark in getting corals right away or your need to be obsessive about parameters to make it work out.
I did bide my time and waited 8 months for corals I've also got 2 clowns and a thin striped hermit crab doing their work for some time now

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Strange to have nitrites that late in the game then. I was just going off of what you said in your original post that you just cycled a week ago.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'd say feeding a stressed coral after a dip won't do much. Hammers don't receive food as readily anyways and I'd expect it would just slough off food if it was stressed. What is Shotcut btw in the bottom right of your picture? Is that some sort of webcam? And what color is the hammer supposed to be? It looks ok in that picture, but the color is very light as if it is bleached.

OP
OP
Wrothgar

Wrothgar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say feeding a stressed coral after a dip won't do much. Hammers don't receive food as readily anyways and I'd expect it would just slough off food if it was stressed. What is Shotcut btw in the bottom right of your picture? Is that some sort of webcam? And what color is the hammer supposed to be? It looks ok in that picture, but the color is very light as if it is bleached.
That was a screenshot of a video I did for my kids two days ago that sucker was flourishing and I had my homes thermostat trip and hit 77° cranking my water temp up to 77-78° I'm sure that's what did it I've been doing everything I know to help this guy. It's weird it has a stringy slime after doing a dip around 2 hours ago now.

wiktor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaaaaalrighty.. first time posting.
Bought a hammer coral around a month ago
Parameters
Alk 8.2
Sal 34.8-35 ppb
Cal 560 ppm
Mag 1580ppm
NO3 0-2 ppm
NO2 > 5ppm
Temp 71°f

Just recently cycled a week ago. Thought my numbers looked good as of today. Lps was having a good time until my power tripped in my house and my thermostat was oem set to 77°f and cranked my water temp to 78°f two days ago. I was worried it would affect the hammer coral and I think it has. I did coral rx dip about an hour ago and tried feeding,
IMG_20221220_180901.jpg
bone is clearly showing and I've got a slime building up around the receded feeders. I expect the worse but I'm hoping for the best any advice will help
how old is the tank?

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaaaaalrighty.. first time posting.
Bought a hammer coral around a month ago
Parameters
Alk 8.2
Sal 34.8-35 ppb
Cal 560 ppm
Mag 1580ppm
NO3 0-2 ppm
NO2 > 5ppm
Temp 71°f

IMG_20221220_180901.jpg
Take it out and smell it. If it smells a pungent rotting smell, throw it. Once you smell that tell tale smell the coral is far too gone.

FIN&BONEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starving to death afraid to far gone, these days hammers are being ***** out of the wild just to find out they wont except our food or conditions. Will the word ripped help your virgin ear who ever has nothing else to do besides follow me.

OP
OP
Wrothgar

Wrothgar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said cycled however I definitely meant water change, 30% to be exact and pH sal and temp were all the same as described.

OP
OP
Wrothgar

Wrothgar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it out and smell it. If it smells a pungent rotting smell, throw it. Once you smell that tell tale smell the coral is far too gone

Take it out and smell it. If it smells a pungent rotting smell, throw it. Once you smell that tell tale smell the coral is far too gone.
It had no oder to note as pungent
No notable oder

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well if it was doing fine and it was just a temp spike, I'm sure it is just ticked off and adjusting. It can pull in and be ticked for a couple of days no worries, tissue recession is a different story. Still curious to know what the base color is supposed to be.

Corals are more adapative than most think, so if it was fine at 71 degrees for a month, good for it. Still think that is low and you'll have to acclimate things more since you run your tank at a temperature that is lower than probably 90% of the tanks out there. Also, I'd try to lower your Calcium a little, it is rather high.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back