Having problems in qt- salinity or poison

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using hypo salinity on a grouper in a 40 breeder. He has been doing well at around 1.010 eating too. For awhile now. My diatom filter I was running broke a pipe. I sealed the outside with crazy glue then jb weld. its not something that is in the water. i used the jb weld on the outside. ran it two days ago for 24 hours no prob. Ran it last night was ok. Today the fish is severely distressed. I noticed the salinity jumped up from around 1.010 to about 1.014. I read that when rasing the salinity it has to be done slowly. I don't know if thats the problem or if somehow the jb weld leached into the line. I did a 100% water change and got the salinity at about 1.012 which is where I will leave it. He doesn't look great. I don't know if the tank is poisoned or if it was the sudden rise in salinity. I could use some feedback. I am going to watch him and if I have to I will put him in a 10 with all new water. But I don't want to stress him more if I don't have to. If it was the jb he should be moved for safety. Filter not being used now with the fix. If that salinity jumped then I have corrected that. Also how slowly am I supposed to raise salinity to normal after hypo treatment?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using hypo salinity on a grouper in a 40 breeder. He has been doing well at around 1.010 eating too. For awhile now. My diatom filter I was running broke a pipe. I sealed the outside with crazy glue then jb weld. its not something that is in the water. i used the jb weld on the outside. ran it two days ago for 24 hours no prob. Ran it last night was ok. Today the fish is severely distressed. I noticed the salinity jumped up from around 1.010 to about 1.014. I read that when rasing the salinity it has to be done slowly. I don't know if thats the problem or if somehow the jb weld leached into the line. I did a 100% water change and got the salinity at about 1.012 which is where I will leave it. He doesn't look great. I don't know if the tank is poisoned or if it was the sudden rise in salinity. I could use some feedback. I am going to watch him and if I have to I will put him in a 10 with all new water. But I don't want to stress him more if I don't have to. If it was the jb he should be moved for safety. Filter not being used now with the fix. If that salinity jumped then I have corrected that. Also how slowly am I supposed to raise salinity to normal after hypo treatment?

It is impossible to say for certain what the issue may be.

Crazy Glue (cyanoacrylate) is used to bond corals to plugs, I don't think that is the issue. JB Weld comes in a lot of formulations. I do think that the timing is wrong for it to be from the JB Weld though - these glues/epoxies cure over time so the problem should get better, not worse over time.

A specific gravity jump of 1.010 to 1.014 shouldn't cause an issue, but do you know what caused it?

Finally, hyposalinity does not control Amyloodinium, velvet at all. Is the grouper breathing fast?
If you aren't sure, post a short video and I'll assess it for you.

Jay

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is impossible to say for certain what the issue may be.

Crazy Glue (cyanoacrylate) is used to bond corals to plugs, I don't think that is the issue. JB Weld comes in a lot of formulations. I do think that the timing is wrong for it to be from the JB Weld though - these glues/epoxies cure over time so the problem should get better, not worse over time.

A specific gravity jump of 1.010 to 1.014 shouldn't cause an issue, but do you know what caused it?

Finally, hyposalinity does not control Amyloodinium, velvet at all. Is the grouper breathing fast?
If you aren't sure, post a short video and I'll assess it for you.

Jay
He is breathing heavily. He did not run from the net. It might be too late. I threw some velvet med in there. He is just laying in the bottom. The video is short and not too easy to make out. But he is breathing laboriously. I can't see any velvet and the salinity was at near 1.010 if that makes any difference with velvet. He may pass. He was fine yesterday. He ate yesterday. The JB weld was the black/white mix. It was on outside of tube and that part was not in water. Says not toxic after drying but doesn't suggest around food. I put him in a 10 in case it was a toxin. I am not sure what caused the spike. I misread the refractometer? I the bag in the diatom filter had a lot of salt in it? He really went down hill out of nowhere. Nothing much has changed.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He is gone. Sorry. I shouldn't have moved him.
just saw this and sorry to hear.
Rise in salinity is likely from evaporation, however JB weld has various compounds that may have leeched into water and may not be detectable with conventional water testing.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's on his belly. Bad shape. was belly up. I think the compound leached. Hes alive still. Maybe he'll make it

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His belly seems blown up. He has symptoms of poisoning. Thank you. Laying in one spot. Every color he has is showing. Just awful. He was my favorite. He is still alive. But his belly appears large. I don't know why.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for trying. The timing coincides with it being poisoning from the epoxy. The symptoms are consistent with poisoning. I did read about kidney failure sometimes with hypo. But I don't know for sure. He was bloated before the end. Badly. All happened within 8 hours.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for trying. The timing coincides with it being poisoning from the epoxy. The symptoms are consistent with poisoning. I did read about kidney failure sometimes with hypo. But I don't know for sure. He was bloated before the end. Badly. All happened within 8 hours.

I use some epoxies that cure underwater, with fish in the tank, and haven't had any issues. As I mentioned though, there are lot of different JB Weld products.

Yes, if a fish has kidney issues and you run it through hypo, that can cause bloating. Groupers overall are pretty resilient though and hypo shouldn't pose a problem fir them.

Jay

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the stuff. Says non toxic after cure but not tested around food so no recommended around food.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/J-B-WELD-O...75f298ded9be1600eec8faa034595d5e&gclsrc=3p.ds

And below is a pic of the repair job. Its on the elbow. Where the white powder has stuck. Its probable that the break beneath was partially sealed by this. Therefore saltwater came inot contact with it. I should have used aqaurium sealant.
B78B0960-E4E6-4EFD-9092-992847369D63.jpeg

Back