Having some tank issues

Marinenewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my tank for about two years and I’m starting to have some issues. Nitrates are high (40) but they have been between 20-40 for about a year and some say that’s ok so I wasn’t too bothered as the other parameters are stable and within the normal range. I do biweekly water changes. The fish, seahorses and pipefish seemed happy so I wasn’t too concerned. Ive recently started getting some green algae on rocks and substrate. I know I overfeed a little but I’ve always done that. I recently added an algae blenny to help with algae but now I’ve just lost both seahorses. I noticed one not eating and the algae blenny picking at it. Put them in isolation area and next day they were dead. They got a bit of white film on them at end but nothing obvious to show disease or whatever. Everything else seems ok. Not sure if it’s related to the addition of the Blenny and I’m wondering if maybe I’m overstocked? It’s 190 liter/50 gal and I now have:
1 pipefish
1 coral beauty
1 blue chromis
1 blue dotted (can’t think of name) Blenny
1 firefish
1 algae Blenny
1 yellow clown goby
2 anthias
A few assorted snails and a tiny red legged hermit crab
I don’t have corals because they never do well and I decided to go with macro algae for the seahorses. Just not sure if adding that Algae Blenny pushed it over the edge or what and I’m trying to decide what to do next. Thanks for any ideas.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does seem like a high bioload for a seahorse tank, especially since the ponies are "messy eaters" and it can be difficult to keep the water clean enough for them to stay healthy.

Do you have a skimmer?

*You also might want to post in the seahorse forum.

Good luck and I'm sorry for your losses.

OP
OP
Marinenewbie

Marinenewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does seem like a high bioload for a seahorse tank, especially since the ponies are "messy eaters" and it can be difficult to keep the water clean enough for them to stay healthy.

Do you have a skimmer?

*You also might want to post in the seahorse forum.

Good luck and I'm sorry for your losses.
Yes I have a small Tunze skimmer. Thanks I will try posting in seahorse forum.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back