Having troubles deciding on a tank. Currently looking at Fluval Evo vs Waterbox 10

Ashton_ATX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says, I'm currently looking to get back into reef-keeping with a new nano. I currently am looking at both the Fluval Evo and the Waterbox Cube 10, but am open to other suggestions.

They way I see it this far is:

Fluval Evo:
Pros:
  • Peninsula setup gives more real-estate for clever aquascaping
  • Tons of other build threads to use as inspiration
Cons:
  • Price ($100+ more expensive to get same light setup I want)
Waterbox
Pros:
  • Starfire glass
  • Price: I can get the 10+ kit which includes an AI Prime HD + Flex arm f0r $280. To get the same light and arm with the Fluval, I'm looking at ~$380+
Cons:
  • less space to work with
  • Less established build threads to go off of

I'd love to get some outside opinions, especially from people who have one of these tanks or has another one they'd recommend.

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Innovative Marine, not sure if they still have the 10% and also check Cvue tanks.

Tango Tangy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a IM Fusion Lagoon 25 as my nano and I love it, maybe take a look at that if you want to up size your tank! I highly recommend it

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For context I have the following nano running:
  • Fluval Evo 13.5G - almost 2 yrs.
  • IM Fusion 20G - 1.5 yrs
  • Waterbox 10G - 2 months
  • IM Fusion 20G - 1 month...currently cycling
Size:
The point you mentioned about real estate is a very valid point. Peninsula vs. Cube

I think the decision where you want the tank to be and the available space may have an impact on which one you decide

Mods + AddOns:
Evo has a number of mods and add-ons available (skimmer, filter baskets) where as Waterbox 10G has almost none at this point. I saw somewhere InTank is looking to make mod for it but I don't know what it'll be or when it'll be available. My guess is that it'll be a filter basket for the first chamber. I just use the Fusion 20G filter basket on mine and that works great after I raised it up. I think InTank Filter basket for Fusion 20G should also work if you go with Waterbox 10.

Look:
imo I think Waterbox 10G has a cleaner look and a more modern feel and more compact. It does not mean however that Evo does not look good; it does.

Versatility:
Evo is the most versatile of the two imo. There is just more room available for corals. I also think the return pump option for Waterbox 10 may be limited as it look to be much smaller and the return tubing and nozzle is very small.

I think those are some of the biggest considerations between the two. At the end of the day you can't go wrong with either.

If I had to choose which one given the two; Evo. Two years ago I ventured back into reefing with the Fluval Evo and still think that was a good choice; mine is still running ;)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back