Hawaii fish ban.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you guys think this Hawaii fish ban is the begging of the end to the reef hobby? Will more places follow along? Will most fish be captive bread and will prices be so outrageous that it will make the hobby undesirable? I feel bad for all these companies out there. I know me for one is definitely going to hold off on expensive reef equipment purchases for the foreseeable future, like controllers , testers , etc etc .

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you guys think this Hawaii fish ban is the begging of the end to the reef hobby? Will more places follow along? Will most fish be captive bread and will prices be so outrageous that it will make the hobby undesirable? I feel bad for all these companies out there. I know me for one is definitely going to hold off on expensive reef equipment purchases for the foreseeable future, like controllers , testers , etc etc .
I think there is a thread discussing this already...

Gordon Marvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Hawaii fish ban ending the reef hobby is a load of BULL, yellow tangs can Be bought captive bred, Achilles, and convict tangs (the more desirable in my opinion) can be purchased from other areas.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2 cents, in Sept of 2015 the juvenile drop on the reef, (when the young fish come down to the reef from when they were larvae), was the largest in many years. So the argument of fish disappearing is evironmentalist panic.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good example why America is a constitutional republic and not a democracy!
That doesn't mean anything. Alexander Hamilton himself said America shall be "a representative democracy, where the right of election is well secured and regulated & the exercise of the legislative, executive and judiciary authorities, is vested in select persons, chosen really and not nominally by the people." America is a constitutional democratic republic. And besides, the ban was enacted anyway, in line with the will of the people. So what exactly is your argument?

MarsWulf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As hobbyists we see how fragile and competitive a simplified reef can be. We need to protect the reefs foremost. This is why we needed to manage the environmental aspect of this decades ago - no it has come to this.

I think we need to accept the ban. No argument and without question.

It would be hypocrisy to let the reefs die when it is the beauty of the reef we all admire.

It doesnt look good for reefs in general worldwide. Global catastrophe is at hand, happening right now.

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of these critters would really be available if we only aquaculted and mariculted? Prob less than half. ":/

It is what it is. I for one with out any political view thinks its a good step forward to responable reef keepers.

Maybe we should all have done LR and fish for awhile before our crash courses with reefs.
my opinion.
D

Gordon Marvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2 cents, in Sept of 2015 the juvenile drop on the reef, (when the young fish come down to the reef from when they were larvae), was the largest in many years. So the argument of fish disappearing is evironmentalist panic.
I agree but we have to deal with the crazy governments who dont give a crap about us (no offense to anyone in Hawaii, my apologies if you are offended).

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree but we have to deal with the crazy governments who dont give a crap about us (no offense to anyone in Hawaii, my apologies if you are offended).
But the Hawaiian people supported the ban by a large margin. 83% were in favor of it. This is actually a good example of the government doing what the people wanted.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the Hawaiian people supported the ban by a large margin. 83% were in favor of it. This is actually a good example of the government doing what the people wanted.
The point of republicanism is to avoid this exact scenario. The job of your representatives is to be more informed than you when making decisions so that unpopular decisions can be made. Pure democracy is prone to decisions based on ignorance and emotion, like this one.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is evidence that collection has a detrimental impact.
From the posting I have seen by SECORE, (reputable Marine Science Org), the juvenile drops in the last 4 ears have been massive. Aquarium collectors know better than to clean out an area. It's called husbandry. The "evidence" to get the ban in place was mostly manufactured by the environmental wackos.

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone point me to some articles about this? I have to write a Researched argument paper for English and thought that this would be a good topic. Or if someone could help me find the other thread that @Bepis Mentioned

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 114 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back