Hawkfish and cleaner shrimp compatability

TSM Aquatics

Reef Dog 29

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Has anyone kept a spotted hawkfish and a scarlet cleaner shrimp together in a smaller aquarium, if so what is the best way to do this. Ive got a 29 gallon biocube and my hawk is in qt and if I can ill be getting the cleaner in a few months.

Fritz
OP
Reef Dog 29

Reef Dog 29

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Has anyone kept a spotted hawkfish and a scarlet cleaner shrimp together in a smaller aquarium, if so what is the best way to do this. Ive got a 29 gallon&nbsp;biocube and my hawk is in qt and if I can ill be getting the cleaner in a few months.<br type="_moz">

DogueDeBordeaux

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have a pair of red hawkfish with a cleaner shrimp. They have been in for 6 months or more. My cleaner shrimp does hang out under a rock where my gig anemone is at during the day. At night the cleaner is all over the tank.

Zoanthids

Mtnbikedan01

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have a flame hawk that live with 2 cleaner shrimp for about 4 months without an issue but one day I was missing one. A week later I watched him get the other one. By the way I have a 220 and fish are over fed. Hope that gives you a little more insight.

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I would not try it.
99 out of 100 a hawkfish will prey on the cleaner shrimp eventually even if well fed.

It may take 5 minutes or 5 months, but you can pretty much count on the hawk giving into temptation.

rworegon

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Your best bet would be to introduce the shrimp first. Let it get established and then infroduce the hawk. I'm not sure about the spotted hawk but this is the way i did it with my flame hawk and they have been living together for about a year now.

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Your pushing your luck with any hawkfish species in a 29 gallon bio-cube. I've never had any hawkfish bother cleaner shrimp, and I've mixed the two quite a bit over the years.

Top Shelf Aquatics
TSM Aquatics

What is the best "cleaning product" or home recipe for cleaning reef tank equipment?

• Water and scrubbing

Votes: 42 13.9%
  • Citric Acid

Votes: 148 49.0%
  • Vinegar

Votes: 94 31.1%
  • Hydrogen peroxide

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Lemon Juice

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 3.3%