Hawkfish and cleaner shrimp compatability

Reef Dog 29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone kept a spotted hawkfish and a scarlet cleaner shrimp together in a smaller aquarium, if so what is the best way to do this. Ive got a 29 gallon biocube and my hawk is in qt and if I can ill be getting the cleaner in a few months.

OP
OP
Reef Dog 29

Reef Dog 29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone kept a spotted hawkfish and a scarlet cleaner shrimp together in a smaller aquarium, if so what is the best way to do this. Ive got a 29 gallon&nbsp;biocube and my hawk is in qt and if I can ill be getting the cleaner in a few months.<br type="_moz">

DogueDeBordeaux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of red hawkfish with a cleaner shrimp. They have been in for 6 months or more. My cleaner shrimp does hang out under a rock where my gig anemone is at during the day. At night the cleaner is all over the tank.

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe so. In a 29 gallon the shrimp does not stand a good chance. If you want to try it, add the shrimp first.

Mtnbikedan01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flame hawk that live with 2 cleaner shrimp for about 4 months without an issue but one day I was missing one. A week later I watched him get the other one. By the way I have a 220 and fish are over fed. Hope that gives you a little more insight.

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not try it.
99 out of 100 a hawkfish will prey on the cleaner shrimp eventually even if well fed.

It may take 5 minutes or 5 months, but you can pretty much count on the hawk giving into temptation.

cgomez87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It also depends on the size of the hawkish and shrimp I've had a flame hawk with a large cleanershrimp never bothered him

rworegon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet would be to introduce the shrimp first. Let it get established and then infroduce the hawk. I'm not sure about the spotted hawk but this is the way i did it with my flame hawk and they have been living together for about a year now.

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pushing your luck with any hawkfish species in a 29 gallon bio-cube. I've never had any hawkfish bother cleaner shrimp, and I've mixed the two quite a bit over the years.

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had peppermint shrimp but never cleaner with him. Good fed fish doesn't worry about all the little snacks in your aquarium

elwallacejr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with 3" cleaner and 2" blood red Shrimp. Got a spotted hawk. Two months later. I still had the spotted hawk. No Shrimp.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone kept a spotted hawkfish and a scarlet cleaner shrimp together in a smaller aquarium, if so what is the best way to do this. Ive got a 29 gallon biocube and my hawk is in qt and if I can ill be getting the cleaner in a few months.
Within 5 minutes most likely.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back