HDPE/Poly Irrigation Fittings

Punchanello

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 3, 2017
Messages
611
Reaction score
671
Location
Australia
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'd be grateful for your expertise. I am building a manifold to t-off from my return line to run reactors, water change etc. I have had no problem getting hold of the PVC but getting metric reducing fittings and barbs for flexible tubing to the reactors has been difficult here in Australia.

I was wondering if HDPE garden irrigation fittings such as the ones in the link would be safe? - https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/garden/watering-accessories/irrigation/25mm-poly-fittings

Can HDPE leach bisphenol-A (BPA)? Is BPA harmful in a reef tank?

Thanks!
 
I use hdpe poly fittings and store my ro and asw in hdpe containers from bunnings.

I performed a Triton test recently as I lost all my sps and lps in an 18 month old tank.

The only issues the test found was high levels of antimony (244 micrograms/L) and zero iodine.

Not sure if plastic leaching resulted in high antimony levels. Most likely I lost my corals due to a combination of events rather than one specific thing.
 
I use hdpe poly fittings and store my ro and asw in hdpe containers from bunnings.

I performed a Triton test recently as I lost all my sps and lps in an 18 month old tank.

The only issues the test found was high levels of antimony (244 micrograms/L) and zero iodine.

Not sure if plastic leaching resulted in high antimony levels. Most likely I lost my corals due to a combination of events rather than one specific thing.
Thanks afhtan. What was recommended for the antimony level?
 
Recommended level was 0 haha
 
Hi All,

I'd be grateful for your expertise. I am building a manifold to t-off from my return line to run reactors, water change etc. I have had no problem getting hold of the PVC but getting metric reducing fittings and barbs for flexible tubing to the reactors has been difficult here in Australia.

I was wondering if HDPE garden irrigation fittings such as the ones in the link would be safe? - https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/garden/watering-accessories/irrigation/25mm-poly-fittings

Can HDPE leach bisphenol-A (BPA)? Is BPA harmful in a reef tank?

Thanks!
'
'All' plastics leach and are permeable to some degree. Salt water makes this worse, gaskets/tubing is generally worse than hard plastics. Plastics that are BPA free often still leach other Endocrine disruptors or chemicals that show estrogenic activity. That said HDPE is considered a food-safe by regulators and is often used to store liquids for human consumption.

Most Plastic Products Release Estrogenic Chemicals: A Potential Health Problem That Can Be Solved
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new