HDPE/Poly Irrigation Fittings

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'd be grateful for your expertise. I am building a manifold to t-off from my return line to run reactors, water change etc. I have had no problem getting hold of the PVC but getting metric reducing fittings and barbs for flexible tubing to the reactors has been difficult here in Australia.

I was wondering if HDPE garden irrigation fittings such as the ones in the link would be safe? - https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/garden/watering-accessories/irrigation/25mm-poly-fittings

Can HDPE leach bisphenol-A (BPA)? Is BPA harmful in a reef tank?

Thanks!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you talking about but honestly I haven't a clue on the release of toxins.
This is a question for @Randy Holmes-Farley

afhtan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use hdpe poly fittings and store my ro and asw in hdpe containers from bunnings.

I performed a Triton test recently as I lost all my sps and lps in an 18 month old tank.

The only issues the test found was high levels of antimony (244 micrograms/L) and zero iodine.

Not sure if plastic leaching resulted in high antimony levels. Most likely I lost my corals due to a combination of events rather than one specific thing.

OP
OP
Punchanello

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use hdpe poly fittings and store my ro and asw in hdpe containers from bunnings.

I performed a Triton test recently as I lost all my sps and lps in an 18 month old tank.

The only issues the test found was high levels of antimony (244 micrograms/L) and zero iodine.

Not sure if plastic leaching resulted in high antimony levels. Most likely I lost my corals due to a combination of events rather than one specific thing.
Thanks afhtan. What was recommended for the antimony level?

Reef Monkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'd be grateful for your expertise. I am building a manifold to t-off from my return line to run reactors, water change etc. I have had no problem getting hold of the PVC but getting metric reducing fittings and barbs for flexible tubing to the reactors has been difficult here in Australia.

I was wondering if HDPE garden irrigation fittings such as the ones in the link would be safe? - https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/garden/watering-accessories/irrigation/25mm-poly-fittings

Can HDPE leach bisphenol-A (BPA)? Is BPA harmful in a reef tank?

Thanks!
'
'All' plastics leach and are permeable to some degree. Salt water makes this worse, gaskets/tubing is generally worse than hard plastics. Plastics that are BPA free often still leach other Endocrine disruptors or chemicals that show estrogenic activity. That said HDPE is considered a food-safe by regulators and is often used to store liquids for human consumption.

Most Plastic Products Release Estrogenic Chemicals: A Potential Health Problem That Can Be Solved

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back