He Vanished.........

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My money is on the cat! I had a snowflake eel in college and my roommates cat walked into the living room with it in dangling its mouth when it decided to carpet surfing. Over my 20 years I've had a few fish disappear mysteriously without a trace. After my blue spot AND Splendid Pintail jumped through the mesh recently I now have a indoor Ring cam setup on the tank so I can go back and see what the heck happened lol

OP
OP
czoolander

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 35+ years of having tanks the one thing I could never figure out was when everythings perfect, fish all healthy and you wake up to a dead fish. No reason for it. Luckily it only happens on rare occasions like 1 fish every 5 years.
For some reason I have just had the worst luck with clownfish and I hear they are supposed to be super hardy must just be my bad luck :(

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home from work yesterday and my clownfish has vanished without a trace. My leading theories I have are the following but only theories I have no evidence .

- He jumped and my cat ate him whole ? Seems unlikely my cat would eat the whole fish
- He jumped and I just cant find the body anywhere in the room?
-Sucked down the intake pipes? I checked with flashlights in the pipes and do not see him and I checked the sump and filter socks ........no clownfish
-He was bullied by my chromis and died within 8 hours and the crabs ate him? seems unlikely since there was no signs of bullying previously and he was in perfect health the day before
- mysterious health issue and quick death and the crabs ate him? I scanned the tank I don't even see a skeleton
- my emerald crab or one of my big hermit crabs grabbed him and ate him? again I saw no skeleton and I had an athias die while I was at work but I found his skeleton

I really think he vanished into thin air at this point ....... big mystery
Currently, I'm trying to solve the case of two missing fish, a day prior, they were freely swimming and eating well. Perhaps the butler did it both of us

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could see my cat nibbling at it but not eating it whole. I had a goby that jumped out of QT 6 months ago and I found the body my cat didn't touch it . So probably not my cat ...
Perhaps your feed line didn't have a
I could see my cat nibbling at it but not eating it whole. I had a goby that jumped out of QT 6 months ago and I found the body my cat didn't touch it . So probably not my cat ...
Perhaps your feline did not have a taste 4 Gobi

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is open top and I do wonder how many fish mummys I will find if I ever move the tank away from the wall it’s up against.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%

Back