Heart Breaking Shark week please help

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
API has been known to not be very accurate for testing saltwater. Investing in some better kits, especially digital kits like Hanna is a better option.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Can't tell but if there is traceable ammonia then you want to immediately bind it or move the shark out of that water.

OP
OP
killemall

killemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't give many specifics. There are 3 sharks , 16 fish and 1 eel in this system.

The system is capable of hold 775 gallons but since the sump is only half full holds 675 gallons.

Then substantial sand and rockwork, there's approx 600 gallons of water

The 16 fish and eel and 2 other sharks are fine and swimming and eating like always. The two other sharks are also bamboo sharks.

Whatever the problem is...has only affected my largest bamboo shark Thumper.

He has been on Kenaplex for 8 days now. I have done a 30% water change and 20% water change in the past week.

I plan to give him a few more days treatment of Kenaplex and then do a 33% water change.

His color and eyes look nearly normal now. His breathing has become less intense. I saw him swim to 3 differant places today. I offered food but he declined.

I don't want to force feed him via tube again. I cried during the process. Things on paper don't easily translate to real life. The stress he endured and the way he swam after the feeding was intense.

Crossing my fingers he will eat on his own soon

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I didn't give many specifics. There are 3 sharks , 16 fish and 1 eel in this system.

The system is capable of hold 775 gallons but since the sump is only half full holds 675 gallons.

Then substantial sand and rockwork, there's approx 600 gallons of water

The 16 fish and eel and 2 other sharks are fine and swimming and eating like always. The two other sharks are also bamboo sharks.

Whatever the problem is...has only affected my largest bamboo shark Thumper.

He has been on Kenaplex for 8 days now. I have done a 30% water change and 20% water change in the past week.

I plan to give him a few more days treatment of Kenaplex and then do a 33% water change.

His color and eyes look nearly normal now. His breathing has become less intense. I saw him swim to 3 differant places today. I offered food but he declined.

I don't want to force feed him via tube again. I cried during the process. Things on paper don't easily translate to real life. The stress he endured and the way he swam after the feeding was intense.

Crossing my fingers he will eat on his own soon
Have you offered live food?

OP
OP
killemall

killemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never offered live food. But Thumper has eaten 20 tank mates.

Question regarding Kanaplex.

I have done 4 treatments so far.

Wed
Fri
Sun
Tues

I'm thinking of doing a final treatment today. Any opinions on how much kaneplex is too much?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API has been known to not be very accurate for testing saltwater. Investing in some better kits, especially digital kits like Hanna is a better option.
API is more than enough in a fowlr tank. You dont have any ammonia showing, API always shows that color when ammonia is 0. Your nitrates are coming down which is good. You need to keep up what you are doing. It appears its sitting at about 30 nitrate currently.

Go buy some feeder crayfish or ghost shrimp and try and feed them to him. They dont carry parasites as they are fresh water inverts. If he doesnt eat either of those then hes definitely not going to eat prepared foods. Cat sharks cant resist live shrimp.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have never offered live food. But Thumper has eaten 20 tank mates.

Question regarding Kanaplex.

I have done 4 treatments so far.

Wed
Fri
Sun
Tues

I'm thinking of doing a final treatment today. Any opinions on how much kaneplex is too much?
Definitely offer live food, if the shark hasn't eaten in 20 some days, then you need to offer it live to get it eating again. You can risk continuing using API but I don't trust it at all, there is a reason it's the cheapest on the market.

OP
OP
killemall

killemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll go to the LFS now. Try to pick up some live food. If he doesn't eat it then the other fish and sharks will lol

He last ate September 19th on his own

17days ago

I force feed him a shrimp/brine shrimp paste 2 days sgo

OP
OP
killemall

killemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELL NOW ONE OF THE BABY BAMBOOS I HATCHED FROM AN EGG 4 MONTHS AGO IS SICK AS WELL.

HIS NAME IS FREDDY. He barely ate today and I saw him on his back 3 times. He's now in his cave and barely moved for past few hours.

What am I missing?????

They've been on kanaex the past 9 days. The water perimeters seem good.

I noticed some green runny looking feces a time or two a week ago

parasites????

Freddy is my favorite. This is too much. I'm not giving up but this hurts deeply. For any of you whom have had baby bamboos you know they are like kids and always having fun playing. Their personalities are amazing. Basically puppies

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
WELL NOW ONE OF THE BABY BAMBOOS I HATCHED FROM AN EGG 4 MONTHS AGO IS SICK AS WELL.

HIS NAME IS FREDDY. He barely ate today and I saw him on his back 3 times. He's now in his cave and barely moved for past few hours.

What am I missing?????

They've been on kanaex the past 9 days. The water perimeters seem good.

I noticed some green runny looking feces a time or two a week ago

parasites????

Freddy is my favorite. This is too much. I'm not giving up but this hurts deeply. For any of you whom have had baby bamboos you know they are like kids and always having fun playing. Their personalities are amazing. Basically puppies
Yeah sounds like internal parasites with stringy poop. Sharks on their back is a very bad sign, start a Prazi treatment ASAP.

OP
OP
killemall

killemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you aspect

Thumper the 2.5 foot white spotted bamboo shark died this morning.

Reason not identified.

I will bury him and SameChan the Japanese Leopard shark under my rose bush tonight.

Thank you for all of your help on this matter

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back