Please help, cannot keep fish alive……

  • Thread starter Thread starter kaleburn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Also, with your LFS salt water, if you can't make your own, at least grab a salinity every time you get it from them. Make sure they are consistent. And ask what they mix with? Rodi? Tap?

Edit... salinity on the lfs water before going into your tank.
 
Personally, I would recommend drip acclimating your fish. From what it sounds like, you're simply temp acclimating and plopping them in. Many LFS keep fish at lower salinity levels, so not drip acclimating could be causing shock to the fish. Not necessarily the cause of all of your losses, but maybe a possibility.
 
You would benefit from upgrading your powerheads and getting more flow / water movement at the surface to ensure high oxygen exchange. There is zero issue siphoning out the entirety of your sandbed if you do it every week. If you only do it once a month then agreed this is an issue but still is unlikely to kill fish since your sandbed doesn’t look very deep.

To help eliminate the possibility that there is some pest hiding in your rockscape that is killing fish (seems unlikely) you could putt eh rock into very high salinity water to 30-60 minutes and see what comes out.

If I had to guess it is a combination of very poor aeration and potential water quality.
 
I had my LFS check the salinity on the tank when I got a couple clowns for my nano tank 1.015
 
All you need to keep a fish alive is rocks, a a heater, and a powerhead aimed at the water surface, I've had this fish since August.

I think you got a lot of great advice in this thread so I won't repeat it. I just wanted to point out that keeping fish is very easy if you stick with the fundamentals and not cut corners. I think you'll have a better fish keeping experience if you put into practice the advice in this thread. Good luck

1765632010443.png
 
I have put my fish through a couple of crashes, just about every dumb mistake you can do,, and toxic dinos, and they are just fine. When things happen that needs a really good look, I use this service. it is really slow expect a long wait time, but very revealing. https://aquabiomics.com/ And a ICP test can see if you have any toxins. I wouldn't just go throwing things (meds and fixes) in there until you can share the results.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new