Heat pack or not

bobby.w.hodges

Wet Thumb
View Badges
Joined
May 24, 2015
Messages
716
Reaction score
648
Location
Peachtree corners, Georgia 30092
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The weather is warming up and I have lost one package that got cooked by my heat pack already. I'm shipping a second package to the same buyer that had the failed shipment so I would really like to make this one right. Tonight's low temp is 52°, it will be 70° when I drop off the package and the destination has a low temp of 60° at 6am. My question is, should I use a 20hr heat pack or let the package go without?

One thing I was thinking is that I could cut the pack open and dump out half the material so it wouldn't get so hot, maybe?
 
20hr heat packs tend to run hotter but for less time. I use 40hr heat packs which run longer but not as hot. A little more info about how you ship would be helpful. What size box are you shipping in? Are you insulating the bag from the heat pack?
 
+1 on 40 hour packs. I wrap it with paper and separate it from the actual bag of coral. Never cooked anything even when temps 75.
 
I always have my heat pack wrapped in a paper towel and at the lid on top of the newspaper I pack everything in. Also yes as I said I think a 40hr pack will be better. The 20's just get too hot, I've never had temp issues with 40's and wrapping the pack in a paper towel. A lot of the boxes I ship are 7x7x6 with a two piece molded box like you're using.
 
I always have my heat pack wrapped in a paper towel and at the lid on top of the newspaper I pack everything in. Also yes as I said I think a 40hr pack will be better. The 20's just get too hot, I've never had temp issues with 40's and wrapping the pack in a paper towel. A lot of the boxes I ship are 7x7x6 with a two piece molded box like you're using.
Ok. I'm doing it this way. I got a 40hr pack from my neighbor, who also had a package going out today, wrapped the pack in paper towel, filled the box with shredded paper and placed heat pack on top. Hope it goes well.

Thanks for all of your help. I'll give an update tomorrow.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 3.4%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 13.8%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 16 55.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new