Liquid Metalhead

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
How much will outside temperature effect my tank temp through the skimmer intake?

My WB220 has been up for about a month and a half (dry rock, live sand, tropic marin pro salt, and no lights yet). I have really low ph for some reason(s) , but one reason I have identified is CO2. I can see a consistent pH increase when I open a window next to the tank, and a instant decrease when I close the window. The apex screenshot pretty much matches me opening/closing the window.

I have a Dalua GW-12 skimmer that I can hook an air intake hose to and run it out the wall behind the tank to my back patio, probably only need a couple feet of hose. My main question is how much will the outside temperature effect my tank temp? I live in West Texas, so the air is dry and hot - consistently over 100 degrees for about 6 months a year. Inside my house stays at 73-75. Anyone else in a hot climate have experience?

Screenshot_20210206-224628.png

Reef Chasers Aquaculture

KrisReef

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
It will raise the temperature in the water but I don't know the math to tell you how much. My tank is in my garage in CA and what I notice most is the increase in water evaporation as humidity changes, more than the heat change. I have a chiller on the tank that keeps it cool. I presume you have AC that would just run a few minutes more each day if your house is that cool in Texas year round?

OP
Liquid Metalhead

Liquid Metalhead

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I'll probably give it a shot, my tank seems to really respond well to outside air. Now I just have to decide if I want to drill through the wall or build something that can seal my window if I raise it a couple inches and install an air hose. Maybe a piece if wood with rubber seals on it?

Last edited:

Gtinnel

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have my skimmer air intake ran outside and I've never noticed a difference in my tank temp from it even in the summer, although the hottest days here usually don't get to 100 degrees.
My pH went from a little below 8 to a pretty constant 8.2
I'd go with the window for a while before drilling a hole so that if the temperature is an issue it's easily reversible.

Top Shelf Aquatics
AI Nero 5

What would you buy RIGHT NOW if you found an AMAZING deal on it?

• Equipment

Votes: 361 52.8%
  • Dry Goods

Votes: 18 2.6%
  • Fish

Votes: 66 9.6%
  • Coral

Votes: 177 25.9%
  • Other Livestock

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Nothing

Votes: 47 6.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 1.3%
CWT Aquatics - Acrylic Sumps, Tanks, and More!