Heat + Skimmer air intake

BifrostReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much will outside temperature effect my tank temp through the skimmer intake?

My WB220 has been up for about a month and a half (dry rock, live sand, tropic marin pro salt, and no lights yet). I have really low ph for some reason(s) , but one reason I have identified is CO2. I can see a consistent pH increase when I open a window next to the tank, and a instant decrease when I close the window. The apex screenshot pretty much matches me opening/closing the window.

I have a Dalua GW-12 skimmer that I can hook an air intake hose to and run it out the wall behind the tank to my back patio, probably only need a couple feet of hose. My main question is how much will the outside temperature effect my tank temp? I live in West Texas, so the air is dry and hot - consistently over 100 degrees for about 6 months a year. Inside my house stays at 73-75. Anyone else in a hot climate have experience?

Screenshot_20210206-224628.png

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will raise the temperature in the water but I don't know the math to tell you how much. My tank is in my garage in CA and what I notice most is the increase in water evaporation as humidity changes, more than the heat change. I have a chiller on the tank that keeps it cool. I presume you have AC that would just run a few minutes more each day if your house is that cool in Texas year round?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t have a noticeable difference on my tank. Other than ph went slightly up and noise went way down

OP
OP
BifrostReefer

BifrostReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably give it a shot, my tank seems to really respond well to outside air. Now I just have to decide if I want to drill through the wall or build something that can seal my window if I raise it a couple inches and install an air hose. Maybe a piece if wood with rubber seals on it?

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my skimmer air intake ran outside and I've never noticed a difference in my tank temp from it even in the summer, although the hottest days here usually don't get to 100 degrees.
My pH went from a little below 8 to a pretty constant 8.2
I'd go with the window for a while before drilling a hole so that if the temperature is an issue it's easily reversible.

johnz7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what’s up! I also have a Dalua GW-12. Have you ever tried a co2 scrubber with it ?

OP
OP
BifrostReefer

BifrostReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what’s up! I also have a Dalua GW-12. Have you ever tried a co2 scrubber with it ?
I actually just hooked one up 3 days ago. Definitely helps, but I'm worried the media won't last long. I have it set up pulling air from outside, then through the media. It's burning through fast from the looks of the color, but pH is still looking good. We'll see how long it lasts.
Here's the screenshot, you can see where the pH jumps up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230214-002349.png
    Screenshot_20230214-002349.png
    81.6 KB · Views: 17
Back