Heater exploded in mixing barrel

BirdFish5000

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 18, 2021
Messages
787
Reaction score
933
Location
ROCHESTER
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

A few hours into mixing saltwater in my Brute barrel (heater and a return pump for circulation), I heard some very loud popping sounds and the smell of something burning. Saw smoke coming from the mixing barrel. Of course, I immediately unplugged both the heater and the pump. Heater was a cheap Aqueon heater I had lying around. A lot of black plastic was found in the water.

So, my question is - would a good bleach cleaning of the barrel suffice, or should I just toss it and get another Brute?
 
I would just mix rodi in it a couple times and you will be fine.
 
Also I hope you were plugged into GFI, doesn’t sound like you were?
 
It is in fact a GFCI outlet. It was flickering on and off as this happened. It all went very quickly.
Odd, should just switch off (it’s a physical separation) and then it has to be manually reset. I would get that checked out.
 
I use the black preset Aqueon heaters to mix...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 8.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 5.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new