Heater failed overnight... S*cks

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So sorry for the losses! :( Back in my earlier days I lost most of my tank due to a glass heater bursting without my knowledge.

Zeromus-X

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for the losses! :( Back in my earlier days I lost most of my tank due to a glass heater bursting without my knowledge.
What happened when it burst? No longer grounded/electricity issue, or overheat/underheat?

I'm glad this thread exists as I hadn't heard of the AutoAqua that was mentioned. I was thinking that a great feature for a return pump would be a thermostat -- for those who put the heater in the sump, if the return pump hit under/over a certain temperature it could stop pumping to the main tank and sound/send an alarm. But it seems like plugging the heater into a temperature sensing plug will do basically the same thing without replacing a pump.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Washing the sand we are finding things we never knew we had. So sad. Anyone have any idea on the rock and the beneficial bacteria? Is my live rock salvageable at all?
I had a similar situation, three day heat wave nuked my tank. It was a recent rebuild at two months with new sandbed and new cured rock and mature rock.

I recured/recycled my rock in a 20 gallon and my DT which was a 55. The small tank had some surviving palys. I think I let it do its thing, no lights and siphoning death out of the DT. I struggled with algae issues for a long time. I probably should have done a major cleaning and maybe ditched part of the rock.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always run 2 heaters at half the necessary wattage such that both must fail "on" at the same time to overheat your tank.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 64 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.2%
Back