Heater for 120gal

Tuoixuanxanh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the best heater for 120gal?
I think to get neo therm 2 or 3x 150watt.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have at least two in my systems. Controlling them with a temp controller is the best idea. I have an Apex run my large system and a Finnex run my smaller one. I just had to order a couple new ones too. They were brands I have not ordered before, so we will see. I use Eheim regularly. I am sure the Neo Therm will be fine. I have run them in the past too.

All heaters need replacing every so often. I had some for over 8 years and figured I should replace them. Pretty sure 2 of the 3 were not working. :)

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the best heater for 120gal?
I think to get neo therm 2 or 3x 150watt.
Depends on your house temperature and even the evaporation rate in your system. I would try a 200 watt version. Then add another one, smaller or larger depending on your success with the first one, for redundancy. Watch the latest BRS video about heaters.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Neotherms are not as efficient per watt as Eheims. I would say three 150's. I had two Neotherm 100's on a 53 gallon w/29 sump and it would only heat the tank to a maximum of 75 degrees so I had to add a third.

Also with three if one dies the other two will keep your tank from cooling off to catastrophic levels . If one gets stuck on the other two will cycle off and you won't overheat your tank

I've had the Neotherms for 16 months, no issues, I like them a lot. Chewy.com is often the cheapest place to buy them

Last edited:

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 fennix 200 watt heaters, I also use a apex for primary control and the heaters stats and secondary temp control.

OP
OP
Tuoixuanxanh

Tuoixuanxanh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your house temperature and even the evaporation rate in your system. I would try a 200 watt version. Then add another one, smaller or larger depending on your success with the first one, for redundancy. Watch the latest BRS video about heaters.
In the past there is issue with 200watt model. I was bit worried about it that is why i want go with 150watt model.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I’d feel 3x 150W is a little lightweight for a 100g tank (including backup capacity) but it of course depends on your ambient temperature. I run a good quality 300W as my primary and a cheaper 200W as a passive backup in my 65g.

For 100g I’d like a little more output than 150s.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back