Heater In sump not doing it

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my heater in the sump and no matter what heater I have in there it dosent cut it for some reason even went to go buy a new one and still temperature is going down ...
Is a 75 gallon with a 20 gallon long sump
What can I do I currently have a 200 watt heater down there went to go buy a 300 watt ehiem and still didn’t cut it for some reason so went back to the 200 watt

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have enough flow through the sump? What area in the sump are you putting the heater? Does the water in the sump feel warmer than the display tank?

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my heater in the sump and no matter what heater I have in there it dosent cut it for some reason even went to go buy a new one and still temperature is going down ...
Is a 75 gallon with a 20 gallon long sump
What can I do I currently have a 200 watt heater down there went to go buy a 300 watt ehiem and still didn’t cut it for some reason so went back to the 200 watt
200W should be enough unless your house is really cold. I have a 200W heater that keeps my 125 gallon tank with 55 gallon sump warm unless I open windows when it's cold outside.

Are you using the internal thermostat to control temperature? What is it set to?

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is set to 78 degrees is the ehiem jager 200 watt and my house is 67 always set at that
Is maybe to much flow in the bottom it dose t cut it to heat ? Properly ?

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, flow will help make the temperature more uniform throughout the system unless you have excessive evaporation. Sounds like you could set the heater to 80°F and see what happens. Alternately, a temperature controller would give you better control over the situation. The internal heater thermostats have been known to be off several degrees when compared to the temperature indication dial.

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the heater is calibrated my water rigth now is at 75 degrees put it at 75 and it turn off ...hmm maybe not strong enough :(

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the heater is calibrated my water rigth now is at 75 degrees put it at 75 and it turn off ...hmm maybe not strong enough :(
Does the heater turn off while in your tank when it is not at setpoint or does it run continuously?

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the house @ 67 you will need more from the heater to keep the tank up to temp.
Either double up or use a larger heater, And double check the actual set temp on the heater, they are not that accurate from the factory.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back