Heater options

Backwoods Reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main display is 300gal sump is 220

Sump also runs a 150gal flat a 80gal deep blue and a 20gal nem tank .

I have some 800watt heaters in sump.

What is a good lg heater for this system or a good lg heater that i can put in the 300 .

OP
OP
Backwoods Reefs

Backwoods Reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm can you explain more possibly? Im running 2 500watt and 2 800watt now im up in NH and my electricity bill is killing me

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look in the DIY section there are sure to be at least a few threads outlining how to do it. It's pretty simple from what I gather. You'd have some sort of heat exchanger in your sump, that connects to a PEX line which goes to your water heater. There is a pump (Taco pump) that will kick on when heat is required; instead of your heater coming on, it simply circulates hot water through your sump via the heat exchanger. So no water actually enters your system... just the heat from the water. It will likely increase the amount of energy required by your water heater, but only incrementally. People report saving quite a bit of money, paying off the investment in about 2-3 months and then just pile on the savings after that (compared to traditional heaters). If my system grows at all, I'll consider adding one to mine as well. Unless you run halides on your system, heaters are likely the biggest energy hogs.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 163 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back