Heater placement

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The heater I got is almost too long for my sump. No I didn't think of measuring.... It is a Finnex Digital Heater Controller with Deluxe Titanium Tube, 800W. I can lay it on the bottom of skimmer/drain chamber of my sump but that won't allow me to add rocks unless I put on top of them. It's a tight fit.

Can it be placed diagonally on the side of the chamber or does it have to be either straight horizonal or straight vertical only. I see from searching some add to the overflow box.

Tank is 125 gal, sump around 30-40
first pic is laying on bottom between filter socks and skimmer. Second is on wall
20180208_105932.jpg
20180208_110020.jpg

jacksonpt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can go pretty much where ever you want as long as it's properly submerged (I'm not familiar with that one, but some have min/max water level specs) and has reasonable flow around it. I've had mine placed flat on the bottom, but also diagonally between 2 sump baffles. Both have worked fine.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same heater and heater controller. You can mount it anywhere as long as it is submerged. I've had mine on the bottom and side and diagonally mounted. On a side note, you may find that the controller while it's good at keeping the temperature steady, it's temperature settings may be off a bit. My controller reads 81 degrees, but the actual tank temp is 78. So it's off by 3 degrees. But it keeps the temp steady. So I'm happy. Hope this helps. :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
800 watts!!! You planning to cook the fish for dinner? Though I jest, should that thing get stuck on, cooking is what will happen. Finnex make a 500 and a 300; both would be a better choice if what you have can be exchanged. In my view, their volume ranges for each heater are not accurate. Heck, I only use about 1,500 for my system, and it's 600 gallons.

Ryan Rosales

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Requires a lot of flow to evenly distribute the heat. I think it’ll overheat one chamber of your sump since the unit will activate and utilize the 800Watt heating efficiency and the sensor you’ve probably placed on your main/display tank will read differently so the heating process will only stop when the sensor “senses” that the desired read temperature is achieved.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that thing is awesome. I have a 255 gallon with 100 gallon sump and I have 2 300watt heaters diagonal on the bottom of my sump and I have no issues.

Ryan Rosales

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good for you. 300Watt heaters individually are 300Watts. Even if you have 3 or four. When you have 800Watts as a single unit it’s quite different. I mean dang, that’s 800Watts unless you have a really good flow going.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can go pretty much where ever you want as long as it's properly submerged (I'm not familiar with that one, but some have min/max water level specs) and has reasonable flow around it. I've had mine placed flat on the bottom, but also diagonally between 2 sump baffles. Both have worked fine.
I realized it may not be under water at that angle so am returning it. Hopefully the 500 watt is a better fit. And that is rated up to 130 gal. Was thinking it not enough with the sump added in but when I take out rock and sand displacement, should be good, or next winter I'll add a second, smaller heater. So glad there is this wonderful forum and folk so generous with their time.

Ryan Rosales

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d suggest two 300watt heater for for your system. It’s a precautionary measure that keeps your tank water heated even though the other fails to. I think we talked about it in another thread with someone.
A Fluval-E heater is just 14inches long for the 300watt model. Keeps a steady temperature, also run by a microprocessor.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks @Ryan Rosales - I already did the exchange for the 500 watt model on amazon--can't afford 2 of the 300's right now which was why I went bigger! I'll get another heater with controller to add for next winter. I live where it is hot in the summer so won't need much of a heater for more than another couple of months. If that! I've already had to put fans on my 66 gal (no chiller) to keep it under 80 this week!

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I now have 2 200w heaters. The only place I can put them I think is the skimmer area. One facing south side and one east side . Should I put one maybe in the shock area if it will fit? Or is it ok to have them both in the skimmer area. I have a eshopp r-200. It’s kimda big compartment and I’m using Neo Therm heaters

820F26C4-B6C5-4FFE-ADB0-DB1645D41912.jpeg

Ryan Rosales

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be nice to place one on the receiving end of the sump and the other one on the opposite end where the return pump would be.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • No

Votes: 152 76.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 20 10.1%
Back