Heater Recommendations for 190g

Tanya R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!

It's my first time posting here. ;Nailbiting

I am building my first Saltwater tank (had freshwater all my life). I have a 190g that I am setting up as a reef with community fish. My question is, what do you recommend as a heater that can live in a sump (if one can live in a sump)?

Some considerations: I have a ghost overflow & a 40g sump with a refugium area that is a candidate spot. The kicker is that I live in the Tampa area.

From May - Sept, AC is on and house is set and a stable 78.

From Oct-April, we leave doors/windows open and it can get a little chilly at times. The heater won't have to work all the time, but be there if needed. We don't let it get cold by any means.... but fresh air is nice. ;)

As an example, the tank has stayed a consistent 75 degrees with no heat source (we're cycling right now - no critters). However today, it's chilly outside, our doors are open and the temp went down to 72.

What would you recommendation for a heater that will support that size/water flow with intermittent use (if that's even an issue)?

Thanks so much for your thoughts... and in advance for your time because I will probably be asking more questions as I progress! [so excited!!!]

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
instead of doing one big one I would suggest getting a couple of medium ones (300W each maybe) this way if one fails, you still have the other one going for you and you dont have a 1000W heater cooking your tank if it goes bad and stays on constantly.
I personally love using titanium ones compared to the regular glass ones.

OP
OP
Tanya R

Tanya R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great idea... I have had those in a freshwater tank before. So much better (piece of mind) than glass. Thank you!

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 200w & 150w in my 180 gallon with 40 gallon sump & they do fine. Mine are just the glass aqueon submersible heaters.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back