heater suction cups are insufficient, ideas?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ^&right
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Problem solved. With water in the tank they stay in place. Thanks for the responses.
 
A dab of silicone on the back of the cup. One below can be found at most Home Depot in the paint area next to the super glue. The package clearly states aquarium safe.

Use a tiny dab so it is just a thin film that will cure underwater. Good news is while it will hold the cups in place you can still peal them off if the need ever arrises.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite...ve-Sealant-2-7-oz-Clear-Tube-908570/303769575
 
A dab of silicone on the back of the cup. One below can be found at most Home Depot in the paint area next to the super glue. The package clearly states aquarium safe.

Use a tiny dab so it is just a thin film that will cure underwater. Good news is while it will hold the cups in place you can still peal them off if the need ever arrises.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite...ve-Sealant-2-7-oz-Clear-Tube-908570/303769575
Can this be done while running a reef tank? I was thinking about the gas off?
 
Can this be done while running a reef tank? I was thinking about the gas off?
Have I done it? Yes. I’ve used a very small amount in situations like this and haven’t noticed any issues. I always add fresh carbon when I roll the dice with something like this.

That said, I’d still consider it a higher-risk move because of the unknowns. The common concern is that it can off-gas chemicals as it cures, and standard silicone generally cures slow underwater.

Strong magnets are the safer solution. The modular AvidAqua magnets are what I use when they make sense. I like that you can shake/rattle them to know they are not leaking.
 
I dont use these suction cups. they melts away after few yrs in the sump.
put them down flat and you're good.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 6 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new