Heater suggestion to run with Profilux 4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bit of a dilemma trying to find an appropriately sized heater, that is trustworthy, yet will fit into my sump. I do have a Profilux 4 controller, so that helps.

I have a 75 gal tank with a trigger 26 sump. Total water volume will be likely 75 gallon after everything is said and done (accounting for rock, sand, and equipment). I’m thinking I will need about 300 watt total which should be plenty considering I live in So Cal and it doesn’t get terribly cold out here.

Initially, I was considering the Jager heater but it turns out I won’t be able to fit it into my sump. That being said, I would need a heater that is fully submersible and could operate horizontally and must be less than 12 inches long, that’s the max size that will fit and be submerged.

So far I’ve found two that would work in my case.

First, I could get two 150 watt Cobalt Neo Therms, each is about 11 inches tall so they would fit. My concern is two fold here: high price ($75 each) and I’ve read a lot of people on the forums having issues with their heater exploding, making a terrible mess, and wiping the tank. In their defense, that was an older model and 200 watt one, also they claim to have resolved the flaw. However, I have seen a bit of a resurgence in product reviews on BRS and Marine Depot that they’ve had that problem. For what it’s worth, I’m currently using the 75 watt version on my nano, and had no issues.

Second, I can get the Finnex titanium 300 watt heater (that has no internal controls and must be run with a controller). The price on this one is much more manageable, but I couldn’t find much on those heaters in terms of long term use. I’m also a bit weary to leave only the controller as the main regulator of the heat. I would have preferred a heater with an internal sensor (that is accurate) and also control it with the Profilux as a back up. Finnex heaters with a temp regulator have reviews saying their sensors are terribly inaccurate, so those are out.

Does anyone have experience with either? Or can you recommend another heater that could work in my application?

Thank you.

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve run the Finnex Titanium heaters in the past; with great and reliable results. YMMV.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 5 Cobalt Neo's and love them All, especially my poor 150 that takes a beating mixing salt. I can't speak for Finnex but they have solid reviews.

Wingizzmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have finnex no problem at all the good thing is there size is smaller than most

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back