Profilux 4 plugging into UPS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Scobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had what I assume was a short power outage and came back to find my profilux not powered and my powerbar flashing one colour to the next. Thankfully I got back in not long after it must have happened.
I have an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) next to the tank which is solely powering a tunze powerhead to keep the tank circulation going.
After my recent experience with the suspected power outage I thought I would plug the profilux 4 into the UPS so that hopefully this failure wouldn't happen again. However when trying this the profilux doesn't power up, it only powers up when plugged into the GHL powerbar.
Is there any way around this?

Thanks

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just a standard UPS, plugged into a wall outlet and outputs the same voltage as the wall outlet? If so, there is no reason why it should not work.

You plugged the P4 power brick into it and the P4 does not power up?

How many outlets does the UPS have? Does the P4 not work on any of the outlets?

OP
OP
S

Scobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just a standard UPS, plugged into a wall outlet and outputs the same voltage as the wall outlet? If so, there is no reason why it should not work.

You plugged the P4 power brick into it and the P4 does not power up?

How many outlets does the UPS have? Does the P4 not work on any of the outlets?
My apologies just read the outlet voltage on the 2nd UPS power outlet that I trying to plug the Profilux and it's faulty. Tried it on the first one that the tunze pump was plugged into and it powered up. Thanks for the tip on the outlets
I'll go and try for reboot my fried brain now.

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for the sake of being thorough, check a couple things.

See if there's a power button on the UPS, if there is, try pressing it and checking the power on that faulty outlet again. You might have to hold the button for a few seconds.

If you have power this time, your Tunze is plugged into the wrong outlet group and likely isn't being powered during an outage.

Some UPS units have a mix of outlets. Some are surge protected and battery backed, others are surge only. On those units, the battery backed outlets typically only work when the unit is turned on via that button, and the surge only outlets are powered constantly.

You'd be surprised how often people throw perfectly good UPS units away.

OP
OP
S

Scobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for the sake of being thorough, check a couple things.

See if there's a power button on the UPS, if there is, try pressing it and checking the power on that faulty outlet again. You might have to hold the button for a few seconds.

If you have power this time, your Tunze is plugged into the wrong outlet group and likely isn't being powered during an outage.

Some UPS units have a mix of outlets. Some are surge protected and battery backed, others are surge only. On those units, the battery backed outlets typically only work when the unit is turned on via that button, and the surge only outlets are powered constantly.

You'd be surprised how often people throw perfectly good UPS units away.
Apologies I should have added to the thread. The APC UPS I have has plug in sockets from each of the UPS outlets, I found my bag of these plug in sockets after a search around the house and tried replacing the one that I thought was in the faulty outlet. Turns out it was the plug in socket that was faulty as a new one worked fine. Thanks for the input on the UPS though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back