Guidance in regards to GHL Mitras functions w/o a Profilux . . .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the “ordering equipment” stage for my Waterbox 105gal tank (48”x25.3”x21.7”) that’s arriving Tuesday. I’m an Old School GHL fan but it’s changed a LOT over the past decade. So don't be too harsh with your criticism lol.

I’m planning to run a pair of GHL Mitras 7206 over it. I’ve been out of the salt game for over a decade and have a few of Mitras specific questions for the collective here:
  • 1) Without a controller (I won’t be running a ProFilux, at least not at first), does the GHL Connect App have full control of the Mitras units? I know each light has onboard controls but I’d prefer to utilize the app more than not.
  • 2) I’ll be running the lights in the Type 2 mounting configuration (landscape vs portrait if that is any more clear). Do they have a “cloud cover” function that simulates cloud rolling across the surface? How do they know how to do this from type 1 mounting vs type 2?
  • 3) Do they have the thunderstorm “lightning” built into them or would I need to utilize SimuSticks? This tank will not have a lid/canopy so SimuSticks are not an ideal option.
  • 4) is there any way to add genuine “thunder” sounds to this scenario? I’ve heard of people doing it with an add-on device when running a ProFilux controller but I’ll be doing this via the GHL Connect app only. I’m willing to pay someone to make a device if this is possible.

Thank you in advance for your knowledge and suggestions.

Allen in NC

Travv26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not the best with all the capabilities of the GHL components, being I’m new to the GHL platform. I can say the equipment is nice, I have 2 mitra 7206 and the maxi 2.2.

The lights alone can be setup on board with the touch panel, use GHL connect app and use the lights Wi-Fi signal it has built in or add it to you local Wi-Fi, or hook up to a pc setting it up on myghl.

I have the standalone maxi 2.2 so I can do the same with that as well.

As far as cloud cover feature I don’t think that would really change much as if they simulate running left to right, vice versa, or just simply running front to back of the tank. But I understand I have specific things I want in my setup as well. I looked in the app and did not see an option to change lighting orientation. But there maybe that option

There is lightning simulator in the app, a bunch or feature to change the intensity of each day, which days they are triggered, the length of time, one light or all, etc.

I have not seen anything about thunder sounds from the lights. If there is I doubt it would sound the best as I don’t think they would put much money it the lights having a sound system for thunder

But in all the lights are amazing, corals love them. Ton of options for the light schedule, spectrum, and power output, and build quality.

OP
OP
BigAl07

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not the best with all the capabilities of the GHL components, being I’m new to the GHL platform. I can say the equipment is nice, I have 2 mitra 7206 and the maxi 2.2.

The lights alone can be setup on board with the touch panel, use GHL connect app and use the lights Wi-Fi signal it has built in or add it to you local Wi-Fi, or hook up to a pc setting it up on myghl.

I have the standalone maxi 2.2 so I can do the same with that as well.

As far as cloud cover feature I don’t think that would really change much as if they simulate running left to right, vice versa, or just simply running front to back of the tank. But I understand I have specific things I want in my setup as well. I looked in the app and did not see an option to change lighting orientation. But there maybe that option

There is lightning simulator in the app, a bunch or feature to change the intensity of each day, which days they are triggered, the length of time, one light or all, etc.

I have not seen anything about thunder sounds from the lights. If there is I doubt it would sound the best as I don’t think they would put much money it the lights having a sound system for thunder

But in all the lights are amazing, corals love them. Ton of options for the light schedule, spectrum, and power output, and build quality.

First off THANK YOU! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your reply. You've made my night.

In terms of "thunder sound" I didn't actually mean "From" the lights. I didn't word that well at all. I meant, like adding a small sound device to have THUNDER but that's probably not possible without actually using a Profilux. I know that another member did this years ago and I so want to mimic it but with the newer technology. Here is his video

Again THANK YOU for the reply! You've helped me decide to go ahead with the Mitras option.

Allen

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have two Mitras - you can use 1 as an master and 1 as a slave. I am no very familiar with the Mitras LX ( I run Mitras LED bar2) but this two resources will give you answer to most questions
1 Manual
2 Programming guide

One example - and also an answer to one of the questions

1710755022742.png

I have run Mitras LX serie at work - and they do a very good job

Sincerely Lasse

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why on earth would you want thunder and lightening for an aquarium? I never understood this. Why induce stress reflex in fish for your own pleasure?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Mitra7206 and do not have then connected to my Profiulux. I do everything with GCC or myghl online or the app.

OP
OP
BigAl07

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why on earth would you want thunder and lightening for an aquarium? I never understood this. Why induce stress reflex in fish for your own pleasure?

Thunder and Lightning are a natural part of the reef and very common due to location of the reefs of the world. Contrary to popular belief, most Reef Life doesn't panic during a normal storm cycle.

I had posted videos of my previous set-up over on another forum I frequented a decade ago that demonstrated all of my live-stock literally had little change other than somewhat seeming more chill during the storm. Unfortunately the video hosting service (Photo bucket) deleted my account (due to inactivity) and all those videos and images are long gone.

My 90g (GHL Driven) had no less than 3 storms on any given day varying from a 5 min (quick passing storm) up to a full 1 hour storm that occurred every single night at 11:30pm. This system did not have Thunder (unfortunately) but it had Lightning coming from 3 or 4 different GHL sources around the tank. Honestly, it was hard to see much of any difference in the livestock before, during, and after any of the "storms" and these went on for over 6 years.

Most sea animals don't really have any need to worry/stress/hide during your average thunder storm due to their proximity to the storm and the vast expanse of the ocean etc.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thunder and Lightning are a natural part of the reef and very common due to location of the reefs of the world.
Volcanoes, tornados, forest fires, meteorites, killer whales, disease, predation and countless other adverse events are common and part of the natural world and reef. It is absurd to think that just because something occurs in nature it should be included in a captive habitat. Why not put the tank on a shaker table to simulate earthquakes or introduce predator fish periodically, just to keep them on their toes? Maybe create a mud and sand storm a few times a season with high turbidity to simulate a typhoon passing over. I mean really have them hang on for dear life?

other than somewhat seeming more chill during the storm.
Not all stress is fright and flight. But, in the video above the fish do certainly head for cover as the lights go out and the deep bass has them scurry everywhere. Absolutely stupid.

My 90g (GHL Driven) had no less than 3 storms on any given day varying from a 5 min (quick passing storm) up to a full 1 hour storm that occurred every single night at 11:30pm.
Yes, because that is so natural.

Most sea animals don't really have any need to worry/stress/hide during your average thunder storm due to their proximity to the storm and the vast expanse of the ocean etc.
LoL, Except in your “ocean” where there is no vastness or depth and proximity is in 20 cubic feet of water and no less than 3 times a day with at least 6 hours of storms per day…. :zany-face:

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigAl07

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Volcanoes, tornados, forest fires, meteorites, killer whales, disease, predation and countless other adverse events are common and part of the natural world and reef. It is absurd to think that just because something occurs in nature it should be included in a captive habitat. Why not put the tank on a shaker table to simulate earthquakes or introduce predator fish periodically, just to keep them on their toes? Maybe create a mud and sand storm a few times a season with high turbidity to simulate a typhoon passing over. I mean really have them hang on for dear life?

Not all stress is fright and flight. But, in the video above the fish do certainly head for cover as the lights go out and the deep bass has them scurry everywhere. Absolutely stupid.

Yes, because that is so natural.

LoL, Except in your “ocean” where there is no vastness or depth and proximity is in 20 cubic feet of water and no less than 3 times a day with at least 6 hours of storms per day…. :zany-face:

You got your point across but after seeing my tank "First Hand" I can say that my fish were active, normal, and healthy and they were that way until I had to break down the tank due to "marital" reasons.

On this one we are going to have to agree to disagree and move on. You're not changing my mind and I'm not going to even attempt to change yours.

As with everything in this industry, YMMV.

Allen in NC.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On this one we are going to have to agree to disagree and move on. You're not changing my mind and I'm not going to even attempt to
Ohh I can provide actual study data, as strobes have been used and studied as fish barriers and deterrents several times, as well as the effects of storms on fish. Sound is another somewhat well studied stimulus. Couple that with common sense and you have your answer, even if you refuse to acknowledge it.

So knock yourself out and make yourself happy, but don’t lie to yourself that the fish like it or there is benefit and/or no added stress because it happens in nature.

You can condition a dog to take a beating without showing emotion, does that mean there is not stress? 6-10 or more hours every day of simulated thunderstorms… wow.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back