Heater thermostat

Fishlover56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
i have the tank heater set at 84f and then added a thermostat that is set at 79f. Being the idea that the thermostat controls when the heater is on and off would you say this is more reliable than the thermostat built into the heater

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say yes in most cases.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internal heater thermostats are the Achilles heel of stick heaters IME. Ok to use them as a high level backup shut off, but an external thermostat like a ranco is far better as your main control.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like having the internal thermostat and the external control. If one doesn't shut off, the other should. I am, though, apparently in a rare minority. I've not experienced a rash of heater failures. Of my 3 currently running, 2 are marineland visitherms that are ~ 10 years old - they ran for ~ 3-4 years then went in a box for ~ 7 - then I suddenly realized I needed a heater again and pulled them out and checked their calibration in a little glass container - worked good. I'm eyeing the BRS titanium to use with the bayite controller I currently have to back-up the internal controls. I get that these will eventually leak somewhere.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back