Heater wattage per gallon

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to start about 100g of water volume. Is 150W heater going to work, or how is the correct wattage found?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to start about 100g of water volume. Is 150W heater going to work, or how is the correct wattage found?
In Texas, I have found you can usually go with the manufacturer recommendation on the package. If you were in say Michigan you would probably need more during the winter, at least.
I think 1 run a 150w on my 60g system, my 120g I had a 300w. I use eheim jager heaters

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Texas, I have found you can usually go with the manufacturer recommendation on the package. If you were in say Michigan you would probably need more during the winter, at least.
I think 1 run a 150w on my 60g system, my 120g I had a 300w. I use eheim jager heaters

Thanks, I am in Texas, but better to be safe!

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How do you feel about these heaters? It seems very cheap..

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you feel about the the eheim? I’m going to be running it off an apex, but $32 seems cheap for that powerful of a heater

I know you're asking crabs, but the more the merrier! I currently use eheim jagers and I've used a bunch of different brands. The only time I use anything other than eheim is in mixing containers. I use a plastic heater in those for obvious reasons. The eheim jagers are almost always in the top 3 lists of individuals and other reviewers.

All heaters kinda suck to be honest. That's why backups and multiple failsafes is important.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you're asking crabs, but the more the merrier! I currently use eheim jagers and I've used a bunch of different brands. The only time I use anything other than eheim is in mixing containers. I use a plastic heater in those for obvious reasons. The eheim jagers are almost always in the top 3 lists of individuals and other reviewers.

All heaters kinda suck to be honest. That's why backups and multiple failsafes is important.

Are the Jager fully submersible? I will probably I seem cobalt neo therm as my mixing station water heater. I am happy with the response as it’s only $32. Makes it an easy replacement also. May buy two just to have a backup in case.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the Jager fully submersible? I will probably I seem cobalt neo therm as my mixing station water heater. I am happy with the response as it’s only $32. Makes it an easy replacement also. May buy two just to have a backup in case.

Yes they are fully submersible. I've had some I leave the very top out of water and others sideways under a foot of water. Doesn't seem to make any difference longevity wise or function wise. To be clear they say fully submersible on the packaging and/or heater, so you're good to go! I've had great luck with eheim heaters!

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are fully submersible. I've had some I leave the very top out of water and others sideways under a foot of water. Doesn't seem to make any difference longevity wise or function wise. To be clear they say fully submersible on the packaging and/or heater, so you're good to go! I've had great luck with eheim heaters!

So how do they work? Do they shut off when they reach desired temperature?

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes they have an internal thermostat. I set the internal thermostat a degree or 2 higher than I want my tank. Then I use a controller (I have Reefkeeper lite and a GHL Profilux on seperate tanks) to set the temp of where I want to keep the tank. So I set the controller to 78 degrees and have the heaters around 79/80 degrees. That way they come on when the controller tells them too, but if the controller fails the internal thermostat of the heater will hopefully shut off at the 79/80 degree mark.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they have an internal thermostat. I set the internal thermostat a degree or 2 higher than I want my tank. Then I use a controller (I have Reefkeeper lite and a GHL Profilux on seperate tanks) to set the temp of where I want to keep the tank. So I set the controller to 78 degrees and have the heaters around 79/80 degrees. That way they come on when the controller tells them too, but if the controller fails the internal thermostat of the heater will hopefully shut off at the 79/80 degree mark.

I have mine on a profilux now as well and do the same as WWIII, but on other tanks I added a seperate heater controller.

I had one eheim go bad, and it was replaced at no cost by eheim through their 3 year warranty. They do tend to be longer than other heaters, but I have been able to fit them in my systems with no issue. I use them fully submersed.
It's my go to brand.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The EJ heaters do need to be 'calibrated' though. It's stunningly simple, involving adjusting the measurement ring to match actual temperature. Just read the instructions.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it depends on the temp difference from ambient.
you should start with 300w.
I have 10-12 degrees differential between 50 gallon tank and ambient. A 300w takes 20 minutes to raise the temp 0.5 degrees, and takes 40 minutes to drop 0.5 degrees.
I started out using a 150 w heater, and it takes 60minutes (maybe more) to raise the temp 5 degrees. So using the 300w is actually more efficient and uses less power.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back