Heaters size for 150g?

Lylelovett

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 5, 2018
Messages
439
Reaction score
224
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to buy heaters for my 150g/40g sump which will be controlled (along with my chiller) by a Profilux 4 controller.

We live in Arizona, so in the summer we keep the house around 82F degrees (hello AC and chiller). In the winter we keep the house around 75/76F degrees.

I was going to go with 2x Eheim Jaeger 250w heaters, one in the sump, one in the tank. But they are so long I was thinking of going with a 200w in the sump and a 250w in the DT. My lights are 3x Kessil a360we.

I have two questions:
1. Is 450W enough to do the job for me?
2. Do the heaters have to match in wattage in order to heat correctly?

Thanks,
J
 
Hello there. I'm in CT, quite colder hereI have a 150 and a 30 gallon sump and use a 300 watt as the main heater with a 250 as a backup, both in the sump. I track it with my Apex and with your temps, I think you'll be ok with a couple 250's. I set them so only the 300 comes on unless the temp drops to 76, then the 250 kicks on as well. I'm not an expert, but hope that helps!
 
I like the Finnex Titanium heaters they are short without a built in controller. I use a 300 watt version. A nice them about the new newer ones they have little feet on each end of the heater so they do not actually touch the bottom of your sump melting a valley in it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 51 34.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 22 14.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new