Heavy metals appearing in ICP test

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So my most recent ICP test shows elevated heavy metals, all above the ICP suggested 0ppb.

The ones that specifically caught my eye were tin:8.22ppb, uranium:9.57ppb, aluminum:49.1ppb, and barium:21.31ppb(along with the others…) But they are also not being labeled as too high in the results/by the program.

I’ve currently got some media coming to aid in removing what’s in the tank, but not sure where I’m getting it from. I still have to send out the ICP for the rodi unit to see if that could be the issue, but it won’t be here till the 16th. Also planning to tear the sump apart tonight to see if anything could be leaching in there. I’ve been having issues with both sps and lps lately so I’m wondering if this could be the issue. So my main question is are these elevated enough to be causing major issues? (Also feel free to point out anything else that’s out of wack!)
534D3EDA-14CF-4965-9B14-E2B7504D44C3.png
F42C774D-BA09-430B-B170-C5417C3F8F27.jpeg
90B2F1C5-18F3-4C7F-9DB2-CE845D1DFA79.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my most recent ICP test shows elevated heavy metals, all above the ICP suggested 0ppb.

The ones that specifically caught my eye were tin:8.22ppb, uranium:9.57ppb, aluminum:49.1ppb, and barium:21.31ppb(along with the others…) But they are also not being labeled as too high in the results/by the program.

I do not think any of those values are high enough to cause a problem. "Elevated" and problematic are different.

Ro/DI at 0 ppm TDS is not a significant source of these.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is ICP-Analysis, right?
Also planning to tear the sump apart tonight to see if anything could be leaching in there.

I see nothing concerning. I also see a lot of elements reported at levels that are likely below sensible limits of what can be quantified.
"0.09 ppb antimony" lol.
Personally I'd interpret most of those single digit ppb values as "could probably just be zero"

OP
OP
mochaclownlover

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, it was ICP analysis. The only reason they caught my eye was because some of my previous tests(not recent) showed pretty much 0 for all these that have slightly elevated levels now. I did find a tunze magnet that appeared to have a small rust spot so that could have been the issue, but I'll send in an RODI sample just to make sure

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it was ICP analysis. The only reason they caught my eye was because some of my previous tests(not recent) showed pretty much 0 for all these that have slightly elevated levels now. I did find a tunze magnet that appeared to have a small rust spot so that could have been the issue, but I'll send in an RODI sample just to make sure

Removing the magnet sounds appropriate to me. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back