Heavy noise from my weir.

Dvt81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Just set up my freshwater tank with a Weir.

The water trickling or cascading down is terrible.

I have 2 drilled holes. 1 for return the other for draining.

The drain is about 1 inch of the base of the tank but the issue is the sheer noise from the water hitting watter at the bottom and the noise of someone constantly flushing the toilet!!!

What on earth do I do to 1, get rid of the draining gurgling and 2, the water hitting water noise.

Thank you everyone
15691093642641318005653151443657.jpg

OP
OP
D

Dvt81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other issue is the splashing of water coming out the teeth at the top. It's almost a 3ft drop.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ agree, put a standpipe in to raise the water level on the inside of your overflow so the water doesnt have to fall as much. You'll want to set it up as what's known as a durso style pipe. This will raise the water level but also quiet down the water inside your pipes.

From marine depots blog

Durso Overflow
Noisy drains can be problematic when it comes to transitioning the water from your main tank display to your sump system because of the noise water creates when traveling through the pipes and then splashing down into your sump. The Durso drain is a trendy way to plumb your overflow that helps with noise reduction.
The Durso is easy to install and does not take up much space making it popular for smaller aquariums with sump systems. Instead of having the water crash down into the bottom of the overflow box, the Durso allows for the water to rise and enter the drain through an attached elbow as demonstrated in the diagram. The Durso standpipe has a small vent hole on the top elbow that prevents a siphon from forming in the drain pipe.
A single vented standpipe such as the Durso drain does not handle high flow rates very well. Gurgling becomes louder as the pipe fills with more water and therefore larger pipe diameters (1.25″ +) are used to help the drain handle higher flow rates and stay quiet. The single drain pipe is then reduced in diameter before going through the bulkhead and entering the sump. The end of the drain is typically submersed below the water level in your sump to help avoid splashing noise and reduce salt spray.
Something to keep in mind when considering a Durso standpipe is that although they take up very minimal space and only require a single hole in your tank, you do not have a fail-safe or back-up drain. While it is rare, in the event this single standpipe gets clogged, your display tank will overflow.

OP
OP
D

Dvt81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!!! Other issue is my drain doesn't get enough down to compensate for the speed of the tank... Going from 32mm up to 50mm wouldn't be an issue either would it?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!!! Other issue is my drain doesn't get enough down to compensate for the speed of the tank... Going from 32mm up to 50mm wouldn't be an issue either would it?
Once you install the standpipe and get a proper drain running it shouldnt be an issue.

OP
OP
D

Dvt81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys... I've done a double durso and that part is fine, however I think I may have done it incorrectly...

To get the flow down it quick enough I did a T piece at the top and done the double durso from that... I've now seen alot of guys have 1 T piece further down and the other that the top with the hole drilled in the top...

My real issue is what's coming out at the end of the downpipe... Lots of bubbles... Lots of gurgling and splashing... My tank sounds as if it's constantly throwing up.
The downpipe is below the water level and it's into a filter sock. I have an idea to put a bebd and T that off into twin filter socks if that would work.

TIA

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I modified my similar overflow into a herbie style. the return hole is now the main full siphon drain and the durso is the trickle. Then ran my return over the side. It is very quiet, and is safer than a durso.

Back