Hector’s Goby not eating

willforr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I got a hector’s goby a few days ago. I’ve noticed he’s very shy and every time I try to get him to eat he hides. Does anyone else have advice for this or experience with hector’s gobies before? I’ve tried pellets (which is what the store was using) and mysis shrimp as well. The fish looks healthy and does swim around he just gets really scared really easily

atomos

52 32 52 20 52 6f 63 6b 73
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is that he could be just getting used to his new surroundings by the sounds of him being shy and all.

When I introduced our Hector's Goby in the tank, I let him settle in to the new digs a bit. Although he showed interest with the food I fed the tank (alternating between brine shrimp, mysis, TDO and LRS), he really preferred his natural comfort zone of sifting the sand. Does your tank have a sand-bottom? Or, is it bare-bottom?

Nowadays he will eat the standard food rotation (from above) and in-between feedings he will sift through sand..I'm sure catching a few pods along the way too.

He is buddies with our Coral Beauty and Rainfordi's Goby these days....Hope your Hector's Goby continues to do well with his settling in..keep us posted.

IMG_4513.JPEG

OP
OP
W

willforr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have sand but I have not yet seen him sift it. Also another important thing is some of my other fish like my royal gramma are very competitive to try to take all the food so I’m just a bit worried he won’t get enough

atomos

52 32 52 20 52 6f 63 6b 73
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IIRC I haven't had a Royal Gramma that wasn't a bit competitive for things and intimidating to other fishes about the same size or fishes that hang out in the same spots as the RG. Which type of sand do you have? I use the Carib-Sea Fiji Pink.

OP
OP
W

willforr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two different sands. One is the one you have and the other one I forgot the name but it is a fairly fine sand. Also, I actually did see it sift the sand several minutes ago as i was looking at it so I don’t think that is an issue. But I still haven’t seen it eat anything I give it

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gobies are generally pretty shy. My yellow watchman and firefish hide if they see me, they will skip a meal if I'm too close to the tank.

They will learn the cues for feeding, and will eventually eat when they are hungry, the best you can do is offer a variety of food.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back