OP
DLJTWO

DLJTWO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the warm welcomes everyone. I haven't shot my 65g in over a year since I've had so many ups and downs with it and my pics always come out horrible but I will oblige for you good folks.

Here are a few full shots and a look at my sump... that green hue is my DIY scrubber (that actually IS helping with Nitrates). Sorry the pics look so washed out, I just took them tonight. There's also a shot of my Maroon clown, "EJ". If there are any Colts fans out there, I named him after my favorite running back. :) I've had him for 12 years... we've been through a lot together. He loves his Rose Anemone that I got him and it's already split once since I got it last summer. I'm currently running 4 x 39w T5 lights over it and I have to be honest when I say that I'm not a T5 lover. I've had them for just over 2 years and have gotten very little growth out of them. Not sure why other than I think my tank is possessed. I got more growth out of PC lighting over my very first tank, which was a 29g, than I've gotten in the the 8-9 years that I've had my 65g. I've run M.H. and T5, using the most expensive bulbs, have the growth just has never been there. My LFS owner has convinced me that 2 AI Prime HD's over this tank will give me what I'm looking for. (Any thoughts on that?)

I'll post my Biocube 14 pics in a second post so I can gather them together.

Full-2.jpg
Tank1.jpg
Full-1.jpg
Scrubber.jpg
EJ_Rose.jpg

Sump.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the warm welcomes everyone. I haven't shot my 65g in over a year since I've had so many ups and downs with it and my pics always come out horrible but I will oblige for you good folks.

Here are a few full shots and a look at my sump... that green hue is my DIY scrubber (that actually IS helping with Nitrates). Sorry the pics look so washed out, I just took them tonight. There's also a shot of my Maroon clown, "EJ". If there are any Colts fans out there, I named him after my favorite running back. :) I've had him for 12 years... we've been through a lot together. He loves his Rose Anemone that I got him and it's already split once since I got it last summer. I'm currently running 4 x 39w T5 lights over it and I have to be honest when I say that I'm not a T5 lover. I've had them for just over 2 years and have gotten very little growth out of them. Not sure why other than I think my tank is possessed. I got more growth out of PC lighting over my very first tank, which was a 29g, than I've gotten in the the 8-9 years that I've had my 65g. I've run M.H. and T5, using the most expensive bulbs, have the growth just has never been there. My LFS owner has convinced me that 2 AI Prime HD's over this tank will give me what I'm looking for. (Any thoughts on that?)

I'll post my Biocube 14 pics in a second post so I can gather them together.

Full-2.jpg
Tank1.jpg
Full-1.jpg
Scrubber.jpg
EJ_Rose.jpg

Sump.jpg
Welcome to r2r, very nice system. How is your yellow strip behaving?

OP
OP
DLJTWO

DLJTWO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much! He's actually pretty calm... as long as nothing goes near his Anemones. The only time I've ever seem him flex and show that he's the boss is during some feedings. It's funny because he only does it to everyone except my Yellow Clown Goby. He charges the glass if you get your face to close to it but again, he wants nothing near his home but he definitely doesn't bully.

OP
OP
DLJTWO

DLJTWO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few shots of my Biocube 14. It's 2 months old and if you look close at the most recent pic you can see my pair of Premium Black Snowflake Clownfish in the back top section of the tank. They spend 95% of their time there. I didn't know I'd spend so much money on them and my set up to have them not utilize the space I've provided for them.
C:\Users\dlj357\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png
LOL. What they don’t explore my Watchman Goby and Tiger Pistol Shrimp make sure they do! So far my only corals are my Orange “Bam Bam” Zoa’s, Bright Green Zoa’s and a frag of Sunset Montipora. My plans over the next month or so are to incorporate an AI Prime HD into the factory hood. I’ve see a few people do this with great results. Either way, I just want to get some LED’s over this thing soon.

Here's the most recent shot of it

Biocube_1.jpg

Here are some "cycling" shots:

20160810_213430.jpg
20160810_213834.jpg
20160810_213834.jpg
IMG_1442.jpg
IMG_6245.jpg

My Zoa's

BamBam-Zoa's.jpg
Green-Zoa's.jpg

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there Dave. It's very nice to meet you. Your system looks great. I love LEDs and feel they are the only way to go. I use a water cooled LED system ,but of course you have to build that yourself.

I think in the near future LEDs will be the only lighting for any application.
Again, nice to meet you.
Paul

OP
OP
DLJTWO

DLJTWO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Paul, very nice to meet you as well.

I'm pretty ambitious about getting into LED lighting. Just praying I don't find a way to screw it up. LOL

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't screw up LED lightning. It's like falling off a bicycle. OK, never mind, you can screw it up. :eek:

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Welcome to Reef2Reef @TheSoloist !*
Your aquariums look very nice.I like the mysterious green glow from your scrubber.I also own a couple of clowns who all prefer their corner.About once or twice per day they go for a walk and that's it.

1460837541958.jpg
The new rock structure in your cube is cool.It is coloring up well too! In regards to lightning,I have raised corals under many different types.Although Metal Halides will always hold a special place in my heart I would not want to live without my LED's.

OP
OP
DLJTWO

DLJTWO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you kireek! I was a little worried about having too much rock in there but hey, it's working out nicely. I'd also forgotten how effective PC lighting could be in the right situation. My very first tank had an awesome retro fit kit (2 x 65w) over it and I was able to keep so much in that tank. I'm pretty excited about moving over to LED though because it seems like it's the future of the hobby. As far as my clowns... I'm hoping that when I move one of my RBTA's over to the biocube it will entice them to come out of hiding.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back