OP
OP
Scubamelly71

Scubamelly71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then what is the purpose of the calibration? From the description it seems like you calibrate the max flow so that if you vary the pump settings you would never exceed the max speed you calibrated for. Ecotech makes it sound like a failsafe to keep from overwhelming your plumbing,. Therefore if I set my max flow that my plumbing is capable of handling at 65%, then the new 100% would actually be 65% of the pumps flow capability....but maybe I am not understanding the reason for calibrating??
I guess if no-one can answer the only way to find out for sure is to measure the flow from the pump? Maybe I am overthinking? Is too much flow through the sump from the return pump a bad thing? If I have 70 gallons total water volume and I am running at 100% minus head pressure etc say I ended up with 1000 GPH that would be 14 times turnover on my system from just the return pump...is that bad? My Nero's are set for random at 30 percent max during the day and min 10% which would give me roughly 45X turnover in the display at max speed. I understand sump flow from the return is generally kept between 3 to 5 times. I don't have coral or fish yet so can't gage flow really so going by numbers to set things

BaysEndReef

Anthony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
r2r.jpeg

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess if no-one can answer the only way to find out for sure is to measure the flow from the pump? Maybe I am overthinking? Is too much flow through the sump from the return pump a bad thing? If I have 70 gallons total water volume and I am running at 100% minus head pressure etc say I ended up with 1000 GPH that would be 14 times turnover on my system from just the return pump...is that bad? My Nero's are set for random at 30 percent max during the day and min 10% which would give me roughly 45X turnover in the display at max speed. I understand sump flow from the return is generally kept between 3 to 5 times. I don't have coral or fish yet so can't gage flow really so going by numbers to set things
You do not need that much turn over 500 gallons is more than enough through your filter. Power heads make up the flow in your tank .

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a 1 inch drain it will only keep up with about 900 gallons an hour.

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world. Waterbox are great tanks. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed. If you are not sure which of the answers given will solve your query I wonder if the makers of the pump could give you an idea of recommended settings.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back