Hello from West Chicagoland

slacker036

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a long Journey, I started my first Marine tank back in the early 2000's a 46g bowfront fowlr that I ran for about a year and a half before giving up on it. fast forward to 2019 and my wife and I decided we would get one of our middle kids an aquarium for Christmas but my stipulation was it had to be saltwater since she wasn't going to take care of it after a couple weeks anyway. So we got a 16 Gallon Biocube for Christmas 2019 and spent January getting everything setup and cycled. since then we added a 50 gallon low bow then migrated everything in November of 2020 over to a 75 Gallon Marineland that I drilled an overflow and added an in cabinet sump. fast forward again to a new home in June of this year and rather than move the tank I was given permission to order a reefer XL 525 which all the livestock was finally moved over to this past weekend. new Finnex heater died less than 24 hours after being plugged in so I grabbed the 200w BRS heater from the 75G for use until I can figure out what to do with the Finnex, its still too early for me to tell but as of this morning everything is still alive and ammonia is showing 0. Still a work in progress and I need to move around the rock for a better aquascape but hopefully in a few weeks we will be adding some more livestock and coral.

current setup
Reefer X l525
2 x AI hydra 32 HDs (plan is to add a 3rd in the middle)
1 x OR3 48" Reef Day Plus
1 x OR3 36" Reef Day Plus
Sicce SDC 9
Reef Octopus INT 110 classic (migrated from 75G planning on upgrading at a later point)
2x Icecap 2k Gyre (have not finalized mounting position)
2x Hydor Nano's (across back sandbed)
Hydros Control x2 (adding another soon)
Tunze Eco Chic Refugium light

PXL_20210907_223449065.jpg PXL_20210907_223437240.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a long Journey, I started my first Marine tank back in the early 2000's a 46g bowfront fowlr that I ran for about a year and a half before giving up on it. fast forward to 2019 and my wife and I decided we would get one of our middle kids an aquarium for Christmas but my stipulation was it had to be saltwater since she wasn't going to take care of it after a couple weeks anyway. So we got a 16 Gallon Biocube for Christmas 2019 and spent January getting everything setup and cycled. since then we added a 50 gallon low bow then migrated everything in November of 2020 over to a 75 Gallon Marineland that I drilled an overflow and added an in cabinet sump. fast forward again to a new home in June of this year and rather than move the tank I was given permission to order a reefer XL 525 which all the livestock was finally moved over to this past weekend. new Finnex heater died less than 24 hours after being plugged in so I grabbed the 200w BRS heater from the 75G for use until I can figure out what to do with the Finnex, its still too early for me to tell but as of this morning everything is still alive and ammonia is showing 0. Still a work in progress and I need to move around the rock for a better aquascape but hopefully in a few weeks we will be adding some more livestock and coral.

current setup
Reefer X l525
Sicce SDC 9
Reef Octopus INT 110 classic (migrated from 75G planning on upgrading at a later point)

Welcome!

Great journey & story. Glad you joined - this is a great hobby for family! Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

current setup
Reefer X l525
Sicce SDC 9

Welcome slacker,
Sweet looking setup.
Help us when you can.
Lot of changes since 2000

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

current setup
Reefer X l525
Sicce SDC 9

Welcome!!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back