Hello I'm New. Question about best wood for Cabinet/Canopy

ramled99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone:

I am a beginner and setting up a saltwater tank for my 13year son for his birthday. I have gone to two places to get quotes for a full installation, set up and design of a 150 gallon tank.

My question for now only involves picking the cabinet and canopy. I don't want any other tank sizes or furniture styles except cabinet and canopy as it is easiest and fits the decor of my den.

I am getting two almost opposite perspectives from two companies I've talked to about designing and installing the tank. The first company is recommending that he can get 150 gallon "solid oak" cabinet and canopy that I should use, and it would be custom made. He also said DO NOT GET PINE, and to get fully solid oak, although I am not sure what exactly that means.

Another company tells me it recommends and can get "solid oak veneer" cabinet and canopy. The second company said that solid oak for the entire cabinet and canopy is a fortune and a total waste of money. He said no one cares about or ever sees the quality of wood inside a cabinet and nothing will be down there except plumbing and filtration equipment. I asked the second company if the oak veneer is sturdy and will hold up as well as solid oak over time, and if is as good as solid oak in water resistance. He said yes.

What are your thoughts? Should I spend the extra money of getting a total custom all oak cabinet and canopy? I know if it were a coffee table, I would want solid wood throughout, not a wood veneer, and then plastic or cheap wood holding things together inside. But I am not terribly concerned about what's inside an aquarium cabinet as long as it is sturdy and will last.

I am also researching other types of wood common for cabinet/canopy furniture for fish tank. I keep seeing laguna, alder and laminate as other options besides oak and pine. Does anyone have any strong opinion on any of these other wood options? And whether one should get a fully custom cabinet with oak throughout, or is oak veneer sufficient? And why?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow a 150g reef for a 13 year old beginner?!

When i was first starting out as an adult even a 40B was too big lol.

Anyways....

Whatever you select doesnt matter as much as the waterproofing used to seal the cabinet/hood. I prefer the look and cost of pine and painted/sealed to match.

In the past i made a canopy for a 30g jbj rimless AIO tank from pine then painted it and sealed with spar varnish. (Not recommended as it ambered)

My current stand is pine and was painted with a white chalk paint and sealed with a wax sealer...no canopy.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi Everyone:

I am a beginner and setting up a saltwater tank for my 13year son for his birthday. I have gone to two places to get quotes for a full installation, set up and design of a 150 gallon tank.

My question for now only involves picking the cabinet and canopy. I don't want any other tank sizes or furniture styles except cabinet and canopy as it is easiest and fits the decor of my den.

I am getting two almost opposite perspectives from two companies I've talked to about designing and installing the tank. The first company is recommending that he can get 150 gallon "solid oak" cabinet and canopy that I should use, and it would be custom made. He also said DO NOT GET PINE, and to get fully solid oak, although I am not sure what exactly that means.

Another company tells me it recommends and can get "solid oak veneer" cabinet and canopy. The second company said that solid oak for the entire cabinet and canopy is a fortune and a total waste of money. He said no one cares about or ever sees the quality of wood inside a cabinet and nothing will be down there except plumbing and filtration equipment. I asked the second company if the oak veneer is sturdy and will hold up as well as solid oak over time, and if is as good as solid oak in water resistance. He said yes.

What are your thoughts? Should I spend the extra money of getting a total custom all oak cabinet and canopy? I know if it were a coffee table, I would want solid wood throughout, not a wood veneer, and then plastic or cheap wood holding things together inside. But I am not terribly concerned about what's inside an aquarium cabinet as long as it is sturdy and will last.

I am also researching other types of wood common for cabinet/canopy furniture for fish tank. I keep seeing laguna, alder and laminate as other options besides oak and pine. Does anyone have any strong opinion on any of these other wood options? And whether one should get a fully custom cabinet with oak throughout, or is oak veneer sufficient? And why?

Thanks!
Aluminum or Pine. With aluminum, you can make a panel that mounts to the aluminum frame. This is a steel frame and you'd never know until I just told you

660 cabinets 2.jpg

nathanb25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Well a 150 gallon aquarium at 13 would have been a changing point in my life! I would have gotten a degree in marine biology instead of bio-chemistry!

Anyway, I grew up building cabinets, and own a company that builds aquarium cabinets. I will tell you exactly what’s good and bad. First, pine is perfectly fine for the framing and or skin of a cabinet. Studs are generally made of pine, and are very capable of carrying the load of a fully stocked aquarium. 150 gallon aquarium will weigh roughly 1,100-1,400 lbs. So building a frame with 2x4’s and wrapping it with 1/2 or 3/4 solid pine panels would look great and cost less than the aluminum frames. This is actually how I am building my aquarium cabinet right now, so if you would like pictures I’ll send them Monday.

Solid oak makes sense as far as durability from moisture, it’s a very durable hard wood that could take plenty of moisture. (But still needs to be stained and sealed) However, unless you just want to spend a ton of money, it isn’t very budget friendly at all, and overall it’s over kill
DO NOT get a veneer cabinet! Once it gets wet it will start to peel then it’s ruined (at least as far as looks go). Plus, people usually use MDG or particle board under veneer and once that gets wet it basically dissolves. The only reason so many aquarium cabinets are veneered or laminated is because the wood under it is particle board, so it’s all cheap.
Anyway, I hope this helps.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too like the idea of building and skinning. And if oak is important to you, build the stand from 2 x 4s and skin it in oak.

I'm sure your quote for a solid oak stand and canopy was expensive. If you build something and skin it, you can use the money you save for more important things.

mnl119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've built numerous stands and canopies over the years. Oak will hold up better than pine, but pine is also acceptable. I've seen many commercial stands that are solid pine with a honey finish. Steel or aluminum framing is only necessary for the largest of tanks, and maybe not even then.

Every stand that I've built is pine framed, then oak over the top. I've started to use 1/4" oak plywood surrounded by an oak frame for the sides. It gives the sides a nice inset panel look. Saves money and weight this way. I also use 1.5" x 1.5" pine in the corners and 3/4" pine rails rather than the studs I used to use. They get integrated with 3/4" oak over the top (1.5" total thickness) so they are plenty strong enough. The exception being in the back where I use 2x4's or 2x6's because they are left open with no material over them. Cross supports under the top are necessary for acrylic tanks that need to be supported at the center as well as the perimeter.

The most important part for water resistance is 3 coats of polyurethane over the top. I had my previous 180 for 20 years with no significant degradation. Also, I limit the use of anything metal using dowels for most of the joints.

On the pictures, the lid for the canopy and top under the tank are 3/4" oak veneer plywood framed with oak solids. It's actually stronger than solid oak in the transverse direction. Hope this helps.

Front.jpg Side.jpg

Last edited:

Mystersynyster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cabinet man is spot on, I am a Carpenter myself. Veneer is worthless once wet, get your outer panels in oak and sheet it if that is your look. As far as the framing pine is a soft wood but will easily do the job, if you want a little sturdier get pressure treated. You can even header across the doors for a braceless opening for a sump. My stand currently has my 75g but the stand is for my 120. Some paint and silicone and it is completely waterproof inside and out. Think I have around $75-$100 in it. That is a 40g breeder for the sump

20230316_180514.jpg 20230316_180532.jpg

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated earlier, 2x4 construction to hold the weight then skin it in anything you want whether it’s painted, stained and sealed wood of any kind , colored plexiglass , stained glass, etc. :cool:

mnl119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you want a little sturdier get pressure treated.
The green pressure treated wood is treated with alkaline copper. I would be hesitant to use this for a fish tank stand for this reason. Are you referring to some other type of pressure treated wood?

Last edited:

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green pressure treated wood is treated with alkaline copper. I would be hesitant to use this for a fish tank stand for this reason. Are you referring to some other type of pressure treated wood?
Fwiw, copper in the vicinity of a reef tank is not going to translate to any copper in the reef tank.

I have a copper light mount over my tank that develops condensation every now and then but icp still shows 0.

mnl119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw, copper in the vicinity of a reef tank is not going to translate to any copper in the reef tank.

I have a copper light mount over my tank that develops condensation every now and then but icp still shows 0.
The alkaline coper quaternary in treated wood tends to leach out over time. Spills happen inside stands from skimmers, sumps, etc. I still wouldn't use it for a fish tank stand.

Mystersynyster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend putting it in your tank, but I have used it for over 20 years in stands and never heard of anyone having problems with it. Appreciate the info though and now I want to look into it some more

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alkaline coper quaternary in treated wood tends to leach out over time. Spills happen inside stands from skimmers, sumps, etc. I still wouldn't use it for a fish tank stand.
Spills usually dont make it back into the tank so no worries there. If its leaching gasses thats a different story lol.

And fwiw, i wouldnt use it either.

Its a no no for anyone who gardens.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back