Hello! Loved the Facebook Posts So Much, Had To Join R2R.

little_ocean_treasures

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm brand new to this forum. I've been a member of Nano-Reef for a few years...though haven't really posted much. Anyways, saw the really cool R2R FB posts and loved them so much I decided to join. I've been in this hobby since January 2011. I currently have 4 mixed reef saltwater nano tanks. Though my 5 gallon does not have anything in it just yet...still cycling as it's only a month old and I'm taking it slow with that one. In my 1 1/2 year old sumpless 40 breeder I'm battling dinos currently and have been for a few months. I can keep them at bay (lights out, no water changes, minimal feedings, wet skimming, etc) but just can't seem to kick them totally. My 4 year old 14 and 29 gallon Biocubes are doing just fine. I have minimal fish (one to two per tank) in all of my tanks to keep nutrients low since I don't have any skimmers on my tanks except the 40 breeder. Anyways, I really enjoy this hobby but feel even after 4 years I know so very little. So I'm here to learn. :)

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are glad to have you here.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 286

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!! We'd love to see those tanks of yours!!!

OP
OP
little_ocean_treasures

little_ocean_treasures

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12-1-14 FTS.jpg

This first tank is my 4 year old 14 gallon Biocube mixed reef and macroalgae tank. Nothing fancy. Just two fish. A 4 year old Ocellaris clown and 4 year old Yellowtail Damselfish are all that are in there and have been since the beginning. No skimmer. In-Tank media rack in chamber 2 with cheato, floss, and Chemipure Elite. Stock pump and lighting.

fts 12-1-14.jpg

This next tank is my 1 1/2 year old sumpless bare bottom mixed reed 40 breeder with only two fish...1 year old Banggai cardinal and 4 year old Black Ocellaris clown and a coral banded shrimp. Currently this tank is battling dinos so it's not letting corals grow out at all. I've tried it all. 3 days of darkness (twice) with no water changes for 2 months, light feeding of fish every other day, running GFO changed every 3 weeks, BRS ROX 0.8 carbon changed every 2 weeks, filter floss changed every other day, wet skimming with AquaMaxx HOB skimmer, Radion G2 lights on only 28% in 20K. Now working on raising the PH since I JUST hooked up Kalk in the Tunze ATO 2 weeks ago. So I'll see how that works. Currently doing that with another 4 days of darkness...just covered it today actually. I'm trying not to give up since it has killed 13 or so corals and 3 fish. I don't dare add anything to this tank now until they are gone. And yes, they are for sure dinos. They fit every description of them...even LOVE water changes like crazy.

fts 12-1-14.jpg

This last tank is my sad looking 3 1/3 year old 29 gallon HQI Biocube mixed reef. Bare bottom, no skimmer, In-Tank media rack with cheato, floss, and Chemipure Blue (just added). Upgraded Cobalt MJ1200 return pump, Phoenix 14k 150w bulb. This tank went through a REALLY rough patch a year ago growing the worst case of algae I had ever seen. Not sure why. I almost tore it down but decided to experiment and keep it running to try and bounce it back. I removed almost all the corals and fish to the 40 breeder, removed the sand, and now I currently have only one fish in there...the flame angel. In October I was given a sea urchin to mow the lawn which he's been doing such an awesome job. This picture was actually from a month ago and he's eaten more than what's pictured here. Slowly I'm building this tank back up to a full out reef. But I'm in no hurry since the algae is not gone yet. When it's gone and the tank is balanced, I'll put a small amount of new sand back in it and a few more fish. I'm currently just having fun watching this tank slowly recuperate and bounce back. When I started this experiment, all the rock was a thick furry green. You can now see a few patches that have nice purple coralline on them. Even more today than this picture from over a month ago. :) This tank is making a come back...slowly. lol

And the new 5 gallon rimless which has a Coralife Mini Aqualiight T5s and AquaClear 70 HOB filter with added In-Tank fuge basket has no picture yet. I should grab one one of these days though. But there's nothing but dry rock becoming live rock, tons of copepods, couple of collonista snails and mini brittle stars, and cheato in the fuge. Nothing to photo just yet.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Welcome to Reef2Reef!* Nice nano tanks! The bare bottom 40 breeder works well,I like that look.
DSCF8242_zps5797234_edit_1424182792330.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! 1smile1

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa wait, you mean ppl look at the fb posts? Lol jk welcome!

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tanks and welcome!!

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 55 49.5%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back