Hello Michigan Reefers! Lets see some more activity in our forum!

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL .... I am sure there is at least .... 5 reef tanks over there, somewhere! Love your sump system!! I hope to do something similar someday although it will take some bends etc in the plumbing and hubby is not ready for that yet! Next tank is probably FOWLR so we'll just use an sump in the stand I think. Sounds like you really go some great stuff going on! in the wall?? AWESOME! are you keeping higher end corals? Do you get your corals online? Sounds like a super pro system Don.:)

MAYBE 5.... Maybe :) Not many of us around here...

Working in the corals..... I have had something weird going on with my system for the last year or so but it seems through a series of changes, whatever it was, seems to be sorting itself out. I really should update my build thread :)

Don

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GR here - well, between GR and Kzoo, but close enough. Been reefing for the better part of 10 years now, been involved in freshwater since I was 14 (so... ugh 20 years ago). There's a pretty good community around this area, though they seem to be split between FB only and larger forums like this. There are a couple of decent LFS in the area, though you have to really talk to some of them to get their attentions. The local reefing club is all but dead - they help sponsor the large frag swap in February, but otherwise they have maybe one or two meetings throughout the year, which is disappointing, as it was something that I was hoping to get involved in. One of the locals has opened a retail coral shop recently - a really good guy who's slowly building his business. www.saltwaterandcompany.com He's got a really nice setup and some top notch corals, and discount shipping within the state to boot. Trying to think of the other shops Ive been in on the east side of the state. Cherry has some of the best livestock, hands down. If you haven't been there, book a couple of hours and make the trip - Todd and Brett do not disappoint. Kees over in Macomb was good but I haven't been there in five years maybe. MobyDicks in Clarkston usually has nice smaller fish and inverts - big fish (tangs, angels, etc) and corals can be hit or miss. Preuss is great. Tropicorium is good, but their owner has been in a lot of trouble for illegally collecting corals in the past few years, so Ive gone to look, but I just cant make myself support that business anymore. Motorcity colors has/had some nice pieces but they seemed to burn out kinda quickly and now dont really have much of a presence anymore. There's also a cool little shop in Traverse City, but I cannot recall the name of the shop for the life of me.

Anyhow, I'm always interested in talking shop :)

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're ever up north I strongly suggest Country Aquatics in South Boardman. Chris is very knowledgeable and strongly advises against buying things that won't work well with your tank. So he's definitely not just out to make a buck. Out of all the stores I've been to in Michigan thus far, country aquatics takes a strong 2nd to Preuss pets.

BummersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're ever up north I strongly suggest Country Aquatics in South Boardman. Chris is very knowledgeable and strongly advises against buying things that won't work well with your tank. So he's definitely not just out to make a buck. Out of all the stores I've been to in Michigan thus far, country aquatics takes a strong 2nd to Preuss pets.
where's South Boardman? Near Traverse City? we get up north fairly often and will check it out!

BummersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GR here - well, between GR and Kzoo, but close enough. Been reefing for the better part of 10 years now, been involved in freshwater since I was 14 (so... ugh 20 years ago). There's a pretty good community around this area, though they seem to be split between FB only and larger forums like this. There are a couple of decent LFS in the area, though you have to really talk to some of them to get their attentions. The local reefing club is all but dead - they help sponsor the large frag swap in February, but otherwise they have maybe one or two meetings throughout the year, which is disappointing, as it was something that I was hoping to get involved in. One of the locals has opened a retail coral shop recently - a really good guy who's slowly building his business. www.saltwaterandcompany.com He's got a really nice setup and some top notch corals, and discount shipping within the state to boot. Trying to think of the other shops Ive been in on the east side of the state. Cherry has some of the best livestock, hands down. If you haven't been there, book a couple of hours and make the trip - Todd and Brett do not disappoint. Kees over in Macomb was good but I haven't been there in five years maybe. MobyDicks in Clarkston usually has nice smaller fish and inverts - big fish (tangs, angels, etc) and corals can be hit or miss. Preuss is great. Tropicorium is good, but their owner has been in a lot of trouble for illegally collecting corals in the past few years, so Ive gone to look, but I just cant make myself support that business anymore. Motorcity colors has/had some nice pieces but they seemed to burn out kinda quickly and now dont really have much of a presence anymore. There's also a cool little shop in Traverse City, but I cannot recall the name of the shop for the life of me.

Anyhow, I'm always interested in talking shop :)
You sound like a great person to know! lots of experience. Yeah, Cherry Corals was so impressive. It is only a little over an hour away from me (happy dance). But I need to get some real lights in my tank before I make another trip.
We have family in Richland
I have never even looked of FB for reefing groups ....

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sound like a great person to know! lots of experience. Yeah, Cherry Corals was so impressive. It is only a little over an hour away from me (happy dance). But I need to get some real lights in my tank before I make another trip.
We have family in Richland
I have never even looked of FB for reefing groups ....

Thanks! Its nice to get to know a few more people "locally" :)

FB reefing groups are a dangerous thing most times. The ones Im a part of are mostly for selling/trading equipment and frags locally, but there are some horrific corals/livestock/general information out there and the flame wars between people get pretty nasty. But, if you are looking for some equipment or frags sourced locally, they can be helpful occasionally. Ive left most of them now.

My brother lived in Livonia for a couple of years, so I was always able to "visit" him to see Brett and Todd :)

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh heck we just left Preuss! Picked Marks brain about all kinds of stuff! Lol

Haha we were either there at the same time and didn't know it or just missed each other! Also yeah I love them for 90% of things, my only complaints are that they get so busy sometimes, and sometimes prices are a bit higher but hey you pay for quality.

BummersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought of FB for buying stuff .... I just look on the Michigan Reefers forum (which has so little activity but does have stuff for sale at usually good prices. That's where we got some of our stuff)
I like this place because Flame Wars just don't happy, everyone is so polite!
dude (ksfulk) ... am I reading it right that you have a 525 gallon tank?? noooo ... that has to mean something else ......
Ok WHEWW .... it's not 525 gallons. it's 108, got it. (freaked me out there for a second!)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Michigan Reefer here. I am in the southwest corner of the state where there are a total of 3 reef tanks :) Well it feels like it sometimes. This corner of the state doesn't get much love for reefing... If anyone on the boards is from this area I would love to hear from you! I know of 2 or 3 other reefers within 45 minutes of me but not much else.

I have been in the hobby for right at 10 years now. I have multiple aquariums all feeding in to a common basement sump. 225 in wall (5x3x2), 150 cube in the living room, and a soon to be installed in wall anemone cube!

Don

Im in the south center area of the state so we might not be to far apart.

BummersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha we were either there at the same time and didn't know it or just missed each other! Also yeah I love them for 90% of things, my only complaints are that they get so busy sometimes, and sometimes prices are a bit higher but hey you pay for quality.
were you wearing a cowboy hat? I saw a dude with a cowboy hat in there. We were the ones hogging Mark's time (which we always do but I just love his approach to stuff)
We are having cyano stuff going on and his response to our "what do I do???!!!" is "well, you can give it some more time to correct itself and if it doesn't then we can look at other options ..." He's so chill and non-lets-add-a-whole-bunch-of-stuff-you-don't-need. I love it
I asked him if we could get a blenny and he just looks at me like I'm nuts and says "saying 'blenny' is like saying 'bird'!" He says it like it is!

BummersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
were you wearing a cowboy hat? I saw a dude with a cowboy hat in there. We were the ones hogging Mark's time (which we always do but I just love his approach to stuff)
We are having cyano stuff going on and his response to our "what do I do???!!!" is "well, you can give it some more time to correct itself and if it doesn't then we can look at other options ..." He's so chill and non-lets-add-a-whole-bunch-of-stuff-you-don't-need. I love it
I asked him if we could get a blenny and he just looks at me like I'm nuts and says "saying 'blenny' is like saying 'bird'!" He says it like it is!

Nah I was in there with a young lady, we just stopped in to get a Firefish I had on reserve so we didn't stay there long.

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow! should we add some kind of list here where we can put screen names with actual names and locations? Heck, I don't even know which subforum we are even in!! LOL
We are just under Local Reef Club Discussion>Michigan......As far as a list goes we would need an R2R supporter to start it (or I would) so they can always go back an edit the list, and I would just put it right in the same forum as this thread and call it like "Michigan location check in"

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it local folks.! The net is nice, but its hard to share a meal. or swap frags!

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I can work on that for everyone. I'm waiting on our landlord now we're in a jam and trying to get enough together for us to buy our home. Here's link with our fight with cancer trying to keep our home.
https://www.gofundme.com/2l9g0n8

After our meeting I'll get back on and work on it. We're 3 grand shy so wish us luck.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back