Mid Michigan Reefers

noxthedragon1236

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are all my Mid-Michigan Reefers at? anytime I'm looking for people who want to trade corals or talk tanks they live in the Detroit area or Kalamazoo or up north. looking for Mid Michigan Reefers to connect and chat with about tanks and coral. Maybe start some hangouts or get-togethers ect. So if you live in Lansing, Holt, Mason, Eaton Rapids, Charlotte, Dimondale, Dewitt, Grand Ledge, Williamston, or any of the surrounding areas. feel free to reach out let's start building a local Reefing community because right now I feel our area is kind of bleached out.

Dirtyvibe76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are all my Mid-Michigan Reefers at? anytime I'm looking for people who want to trade corals or talk tanks they live in the Detroit area or Kalamazoo or up north. looking for Mid Michigan Reefers to connect and chat with about tanks and coral. Maybe start some hangouts or get-togethers ect. So if you live in Lansing, Holt, Mason, Eaton Rapids, Charlotte, Dimondale, Dewitt, Grand Ledge, Williamston, or any of the surrounding areas. feel free to reach out let's start building a local Reefing community because right now I feel our area is kind of bleached out.
I just got back into reefing after many years still cycling the new tank. I live in lansing and agree that getting people together would be great.

OP
OP
noxthedragon1236

noxthedragon1236

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back into reefing after many years still cycling the new tank. I live in lansing and agree that getting people together would be great.
I live in Eaton Rapids. I have 2 fluval 13.5s but one is a tank i have been building for some long term residents. What size tank are you starting up. I want a bigger reef tank but my wife wants to take the kids to Disney so I told her no new tanks till thats done.

Dirtyvibe76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Eaton Rapids. I have 2 fluval 13.5s but one is a tank i have been building for some long term residents. What size tank are you starting up. I want a bigger reef tank but my wife wants to take the kids to Disney so I told her no new tanks till thats done.
I have a 55g with sump. I really just started it only substrate and about 70 pounds live rock. But within the last week I noticed something growing looks luke some tubes of some sort and tonight I found new life a crab and another unknown look like little stars.

OP
OP
noxthedragon1236

noxthedragon1236

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are Asterina Starfish Some reefers like them some reefers don't it depends on what you want to keep in your tank they are known for eating some soft corals like zoanthids. The crab you might want to look into to because some are also not reef-safe. the tubes might be sponges I don't mind them, they are filter feeders. Some reefers don't like them either, I don't know why, free filters are good for your tank.. but without pics, I couldn't tell you what they are. Sounds like it will be a nice tank. Do you know what you want to put in it yet coral coral-wise or fish? Reeforama frag swap is happening on March 24th. in Ann Arbor, you can get better deals on coral at these frag swaps vs the LFS. here in Lansing. nothing against the LFS just saying if you wanna save a little money frag swaps are the way to go.

Dirtyvibe76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some photos. Thanks for the info on the swap I'll have to check it out. As far as what I want to do with it im unsure. Thinking of starting with some plants. And as far as corals need to start with something hardy until I get myself enough knowledge to give anything in there the best possible environment possible. So I'm starting slow and seeing where I end up.

Attachments

• 20240308_225001.jpg
    20240308_225001.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240302_212225.jpg
    20240302_212225.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240303_195849.jpg
    20240303_195849.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240309_184745.jpg
    20240309_184745.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240306_155229.jpg
    20240306_155229.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
noxthedragon1236

noxthedragon1236

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some photos. Thanks for the info on the swap I'll have to check it out. As far as what I want to do with it im unsure. Thinking of starting with some plants. And as far as corals need to start with something hardy until I get myself enough knowledge to give anything in there the best possible environment possible. So I'm starting slow and seeing where I end up.
This looks like it can be a nice setup. What do you mean by plants? I'm not well-versed in saltwater plants. did you mean microalgae? What is your lighting is it reef lighting? I stay away from Acropora Coral for now they tend to be Finaky. GHP or Green Hair polyps are great if you isolate them. it grows fast so on a separate piece of rock away from your main live rock because if it touches your main live rock it will take it over and it grows like a weed. Pulsing Xenia is something I stay away from as well as it will take over your tank. Frogspawn and hammer corals are great flowing corals along with Duncan corals. candy cane corals are a good first coral as well. I like encrusting corals like Cyphastria. Anenomes are nice but they can move and sting your corals but they are fun. I have a nano so I have stayed away from bubble tip anemones but I do have a rock flower anemone and it's happy in my tank. Pic 1 is an asteria starfish again some people like them some don't, they can repopulate quickly. I take them out of my tank afraid of them harming my coral I don't take the chance. The Crab looks to be an Emerald Crab and should be reef safe hard to make out its color but if it's green he will be a good clean-up crew. Pic 3 I'm not sure what they are but it looks to be some kind of polyp Coral like a zoanthid maybe, maybe an anemone of some type too If it can move around in the tank it is an anemone. Pic 4 looks to be a Bristle starfish unless each of the appendages are individual bristle worms, but my money is on a bristle star. good clean-up crew. I like your tank though so far. let me know when you add things I like to see others tanks, Thanks for sharing.

spartanrob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new heard and live in Grand Ledge. I am on the lookout for a tank right now so I can get back into the hobby. When I was into reefs some years ago I met some locals that I would swap/buy equipment and corals from so it would be nice to have something like that again.

howboutit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving to East Lansing in a few months and would also enjoy a group getting started. We have quite a big group here in Memphis on Discord, it’s a great way to meet and ask questions, but/sell, trade.. all of it. Let’s get one started! I’ve never moved a tank before so this should be fun

Michael's Marine Park

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving to East Lansing in a few months and would also enjoy a group getting started. We have quite a big group here in Memphis on Discord, it’s a great way to meet and ask questions, but/sell, trade.. all of it. Let’s get one started! I’ve never moved a tank before so this should be fun
Good luck! I just drove from NYC to Grand Rapids with a pico tank. Basically drained it halfway then used an AC adapter in the car to keep a heater running in the tank. Stopped in a hotel where I brought the tank in for the night and then continued on. Best of luck with your move! It is doable!

Michael's Marine Park

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the Grand Rapids area but would be very interested in joining this community! Just started cycling a new 25 gallon tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back