Hello & New Sump Advice for Newbie

CWH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Member Here!!!

Let me start with saying how awesome you folks all are. I’ve been reading this forum for months and everyone here is so helpful.

I need some help: I just bought my dream tank: Red Sea Reefer 425XL

I don’t think I set up my sump correctly and need some suggestions. No aftermarket changes to the sump - 3 compartments. Current set
1. Filter socks x2 ➡️Media bags in cups x2, ➡️ the few pieces of live rock, chaeto and a bunch of bio blocks
2. Protein Skimmer
——baffle——
3. Return

I’m getting algae growing on the bio blocks (I think I put too many). I read that chaeto should be tumbling which mine def isn’t doing since I think I put way too many bio block in the compartment.

I’m getting algae growing on the bio blocks (I think I put too many). I read that chaeto should be tumbling which mine def isn’t doing since I think I put way too many bio block in the compartment.

1. Less bio blocks - they currently take up about 75% of compartment and chaeto is stationary
2. Wrong compartments - chaeto, live rock and bio blocks all in same compartment, skimmer is by itself
3. Something else

trying to post pic but haven’t figured out how to do there here from my phone.

any ideas

Corey

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Member Here!!!

Let me start with saying how awesome you folks all are. I’ve been reading this forum for months and everyone here is so helpful.

I need some help: I just bought my dream tank: Red Sea Reefer 425XL

I don’t think I set up my sump correctly and need some suggestions. No aftermarket changes to the sump - 3 compartments. Current set
1. Filter socks x2 ➡️Media bags in cups x2, ➡️ the few pieces of live rock, chaeto and a bunch of bio blocks
2. Protein Skimmer
——baffle——
3. Return

1. Less bio blocks - they currently take up about 75% of compartment and chaeto is stationary
2. Wrong compartments - chaeto, live rock and bio blocks all in same compartment, skimmer is by itself
3. Something else

trying to post pic but haven’t figured out how to do there here from my phone.

any ideas

Corey

Hi Corey and Welcome! Glad you joined. I see you've already reacted and modified based on the suggestions here. You are in the right place. I love this site!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in Scarsdale:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Upvote 0

Adolfo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome r2r.jpg

Upvote 0

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You’ll find that the people here are awesome, ready to help, and quite knowledgeable. We’re glad you joined! Hopefully you’ll start a build thread so we can see your reef as it progresses.

Upvote 0

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bear - that was extremely helpful thank you so much for that

based on your suggestion, I rearranged to this:

1. Socks/media ➡️
2. bio blocks across the bottom, skimmer on top with some live rock around it➡️
3. Chaeto alone with light shining away from everything else
——Baffle——
4. Return

you guys are awesome

3922DEC0-B266-4FB0-838C-9831967BCBDF.jpeg
Looks good.
As I said, there are pros and cons to both locations but this works for me and many other Redsea owners.
You may still get light spill into the "skimmer" chamber but it should be easy to block the light if that is the case. Also, you may end up with some detritus around the bio media but as it's at the front it should be easy to syphon out when you do maintenance.
As an extra tip, assuming you aren't already doing it, you can run a sheet of floss either over the socks or loosely rolled up in the socks themselves (you can see it. in my picture). This is beneficial in two ways, one to help polish the water before you give in and buy a roller... The other is to stop the irritating trickling noise!

Upvote 0

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back