Hello new to aquariums

Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246
 
Welcome to R2R! Either glass or mesh will work fine and they both need maintenance from time to time. Arguably, it is easier to clean the glass than the screen and the glass will need less long term maintenance. Glass will absorb/reflect more of light put not appreciably more. Glass will reduce evaporation so you do less top off. It is all a trade off. Mesh is probably better for gas exchange and light transmission. Glass is better for maintenance and evaporation. That said, I live in Arizona so I worry more about the tank getting too warm than getting too cool. I prefer a mesh top as I need the evaporation to help keep the tank temps down. Evaporation is one of the main ways to cool a tank. It is better to use cutouts than a gap at the back. Many fish are incredibly skilled jumpers and can fit through openings that are seemingly smaller than their bodies.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg
 
Hello everyone I’m new to the aquarium hobby and chose to go saltwater from the start. This forums seems to pop up all the time when I google my questions and figured I would join. I have a couple of questions. Glass lid or screen for my aqueon 40g breeder tank? And for my lighting I think ima go with nicrew. Should I get two 50w or two 100w
Is your "aqueon" a rimless? Im losing my f&^*&g mind not being able to find a 40 breeder equivalent rimless that fits on my custom made stand unless I have one built for me which is ridiculously expensive.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new