Hello, new to the hobby

Totempolez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, i went to the Lutz on the 18th an no one was there, lol. i later found out that the meeting was canceled. anyhow, i wanted to join the club. will there be an opportunity to join at Fragtoberfest?

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1475333141.581188.jpg

diablo243

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Totempolez, you can reg online and then someone will bring you sour card at fragtober or just mail it to you. If you would prefer in person then all the BOD will be there and I'm sure someone will take care of you. Where in CT are you, I'm recently back into the hobby and have just gone trough setup and cycle and build out and whatnot. Feel free to ping me if you have any questions or need anything!

OP
OP
T

Totempolez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Totempolez, you can reg online and then someone will bring you sour card at fragtober or just mail it to you. If you would prefer in person then all the BOD will be there and I'm sure someone will take care of you. Where in CT are you, I'm recently back into the hobby and have just gone trough setup and cycle and build out and whatnot. Feel free to ping me if you have any questions or need anything!

Ha, i have tons of questions lol, that is why i went to the meeting. i am just getting into the hobby. i do no have a set up yet. I just drove to new york to buy a tank off of craigslist and that is the only piece of equipment i have at the moment (72x24x24)

I am going to be picking up a lot of second hand equipment, and utilizing the upcoming black friday/cyber monday sales to get this running a cheep as possible. My fiancee is supportive of me taking on a new hobby, but might kill me i spend hundreds or thousands before i finish paying for the wedding. so far i am doing good at finding deals, i got the 6' tank and two 55 gallon tanks for a total of 120 dollars, i am not too invested yet.

i live about 5 minutes away from the Lutz Museum, and hope to meet more people in my area that are in the hobby

diablo243

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha good for you but it adds up quick! #1 piece of advice from my second time around is TAKE YOUR TIME and plan! It took me months from the time I bought my tank to get it up and running and am sooo happy I took my time because it is thriving and on autopilot! Here's a pic from this morn, tank is about 6 months running

9e9e2f8bea8617dfb30711e74fd6c3e0.jpg

Plenty of deals out there I bought everything for the most part second hand and saved a ton but am still well into it for a couple grand at this point. Things to think hard about for larger tanks is water changes and mixing stations, I was able to drop into my basement and do a sump room so have been able to totally automate my water changes and have 3 brute cans down there 1 for RO and 1 for Salt. Good luck and hit me up anytime!

OP
OP
T

Totempolez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will definitely let you know, plan on a year before i can get and set up running. it is not to depressing because i have my freshwater set up to keep my occupied while i wait. But in the very near future i would like to find others in the ct area that i can meet in person to chat about their set, my future set up and general advice. i am going to be starting a binder this week that will include everything i want and what i am willing to pay for it. after, would like to get real time advice (conversations) about it.

Trust me when i say that, everyone around me is sick of me talking about fish tanks!! i am going at this hobby alone so far, that is why i want to join a club of people that don't get tired of me talking about this

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. :)

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi welcome aboard heads up just saw a RO filter on Craigslist for 30 bucks in Avon something you're definitely going to need

OP
OP
T

Totempolez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I met someone last monday that said he would give me a 4 stage BRS ro, alls i would need to buy is a membrane? or some part like that

AquaMama13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and thank you for taking interest in the club. Sorry about the meeting being cancelled. R2R is a great place to get advice and possibly pick up some used equipment. I am the treasurer of the club, so any questions you have that is club related, feel free to ask. [emoji5]

OP
OP
T

Totempolez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you kgstei, i found it

Are we allowed to post links to craigslist, letgo, or offer up in forums, or is it against the rules?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back