Hello...newbie here and excited about learning more about marine aquariums!!

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMB_UEj7O8.gif

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Dom..I have a firefish and a Neon Goby as fish. Really don't want any more. I more intreated in the invertebrates and corals. As my invertebrates are all doing great...my corals not so well! I only have a finger leather. Toadstool, zoeanthid and a mushroom that decided to take a walk just the other day. And trying to figure out why.

You really do have a nice balance in my opinion. You don't have too many fish, but enough to provide nutrient (through waste) to the water and by extension, to the corals.

If your corals aren't doing well, it could be a few things; water quality, flow or lighting. So please tell me what lighting you have. Also, a full tank picture of your setup is worth a thousand words.

I also only have a 10g nanotank for now. Wanted to start small.

Starting small makes sense... except in this hobby. You see, the larger the tank, the more subtle the swings in chemistry. And when you are new in the hobby, chemistry swings are a common problem due to inexperience.

I can't say for sure why your corals aren't doing well, but a simple way to get things on track is through water changes.

Water changes serve two purposes; the export of excessive nutrients and the replenishment of the elements normally contained in salt water, which are consumed by the corals.

In a 10 gallon tank, FAITHFUL, WEEKLY, 20% water changes (in your case 2 gallons weekly) will be enough to continue providing the necessary elements for healthy coral.

Also, what lighting do you have installed?

OP
OP
M

MrsKat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using the Lifeguard aquatics light. It was recommended at the Fish shop I go too. But I think it is to strong as it sits on top of the hood. So I tried raising it some. Water well I was using tap and adding conditioner to it but stopped that and started using RO water tank looks cleaner and I do a water change every week. I have been adding Nano Reef part A and B. Was told to since I have a Nano tank every day. I am beginning to wonder if that may be it as my DKH and valium test are off the charts!!

Attachments

• 20240211_081014.jpg
    20240211_081014.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
M

MrsKat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using the Lifeguard aquatics light. It was recommended at the Fish shop I go too. But I think it is to strong as it sits on top of the hood. So I tried raising it some. Water well I was using tap and adding conditioner to it but stopped that and started using RO water tank looks cleaner and I do a water change every week. I have been adding Nano Reef part A and B. Was told to since I have a Nano tank every day. I am beginning to wonder if that may be it as my DKH and valium test are off the charts!!
Calcium *

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Few aquarists can look at a tank and determine if their water parameters are of good quality. The rest of us have to test. Do you test? If not, you should considering you are dosing product into the tank on the recommendation of the LFS.

Lifeguard Aquatics makes some quality equipment. But I would need to know the actual model. The more I read, the more convinced I become that this is a water quality issue.

When it comes to lighting a tank, there are two things to keep in mind; they are "light spread" and "penetration".

Spread is the area the light covers in the tank. You can adjust the amount of area the light covers by raising/lowering it in relation to the top of the tank.

Penetration is the amount of power delivered to the bottom of the tank (the point furthest from the light).

Post a full tank shot for us to see.

OP
OP
M

MrsKat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few aquarists can look at a tank and determine if their water parameters are of good quality. The rest of us have to test. Do you test? If not, you should considering you are dosing product into the tank on the recommendation of the LFS.

Lifeguard Aquatics makes some quality equipment. But I would need to know the actual model. The more I read, the more convinced I become that this is a water quality issue.

When it comes to lighting a tank, there are two things to keep in mind; they are "light spread" and "penetration".

Spread is the area the light covers in the tank. You can adjust the amount of area the light covers by raising/lowering it in relation to the top of the tank.

Penetration is the amount of power delivered to the bottom of the tank (the point furthest from the light).

It is the full spectrum LED 24 in.

OP
OP
M

MrsKat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 20240211_102820.jpg
    20240211_102820.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240211_102811.jpg
    20240211_102811.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 21

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet little setup.

It appears that your rock is from an established tank as I see the presence of Coraline. But your sand is pure. This is a very young tank.

It may very well be that you have added corals too soon.

Again, do you test for anything?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back