Hello R2R - new guy from Connecticut

Kenny D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning everyone,

I’m jumping back into the hobby after a 25 year hiatus and wow, have things changed.

I started keeping saltwater fish in the 80s, yeah, I’m old, but got out of the hobby after my ex-wife pulled the plugs on all of my tanks during a nasty divorce. I was more devastated over the fish tanks than I was about the divorce , dang, I loved those fish! Anyway, the bad times are behind me so it’s time to start over again.

I’ve been lurking this forum for a few months, gathering as much information as I can, and finally joined a few weeks ago.

Since I’m frugal, my wife says “cheap”, the first thing I did was browse the marketplace where I found and bought a Red Sea Max 250 setup and an Apex Classic. I’m still in the cleaning process but I should have the tank on the stand in the next couple of days.

I’m hoping to find an RODI unit locally at one of the LFS around me so I can begin making water to cook the rock and the saltwater for the tank.

Since so much has changed in the last 2 1/2 decades I’m sure to have a lot of questions so please, bear with me. I’ll try and research them first before asking but I’ve noticed many conflicting answers in the research that I’ve already done. It can get confusing for a newbie and mistakes in this hobby can be very expensive.

Thanks for listening.

Kenny

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and your new reefing family and welcome back to the hobby. Feel free to ask questions as there are a bunch of willing and able folks here to help. One things that hasn't changed...patience still wins.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R and welcome back to the hobby! We're glad you're here!

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning and welcome back.

And definitly can get confusing as there is a ton of information out there. Some anecdotal some with scientific backup.

Best thing I can tell you is to get a plan and follow it. Not everything that worked for someone will work for you. So you kinda have to piece together all the info into your own system. The nice thing about all the Information is that knowing more than one way to do something so if you find that what you tried didn't work or you dont like it theres other options.

But in the end it never hurts to ask. That's what we're here for.

Todd_elb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning everyone,

I’m jumping back into the hobby after a 25 year hiatus and wow, have things changed.

I started keeping saltwater fish in the 80s, yeah, I’m old, but got out of the hobby after my ex-wife pulled the plugs on all of my tanks during a nasty divorce. I was more devastated over the fish tanks than I was about the divorce , dang, I loved those fish! Anyway, the bad times are behind me so it’s time to start over again.

I’ve been lurking this forum for a few months, gathering as much information as I can, and finally joined a few weeks ago.

Since I’m frugal, my wife says “cheap”, the first thing I did was browse the marketplace where I found and bought a Red Sea Max 250 setup and an Apex Classic. I’m still in the cleaning process but I should have the tank on the stand in the next couple of days.

I’m hoping to find an RODI unit locally at one of the LFS around me so I can begin making water to cook the rock and the saltwater for the tank.

Since so much has changed in the last 2 1/2 decades I’m sure to have a lot of questions so please, bear with me. I’ll try and research them first before asking but I’ve noticed many conflicting answers in the research that I’ve already done. It can get confusing for a newbie and mistakes in this hobby can be very expensive.

Thanks for listening.

Kenny
WELCOME

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R
Wtr2r54.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back