hello reefers!

Zz6rpezza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
Posting here from rhodeisland. My name is mark and this is my first fish tank, ive had alot of other animals. Leapord tortious. Geckos pretty much the opposite spectrum from salt water. My son woke up one day and said he wanted to do an experiment. So i went on the hunt not knowing much went to petco. Got a hookup on a used 55 gallon coloum tank. A aquaclear 100 filter broke in 3 days. Stand etc.

So day one. I set up the stand tank live sand live rock etc. To let it cycle, now i listened to petco and mixed my instant ocean with TAP water. Yeah lesson learned.
And let it sit well here is the tank and stand
20141021_194625.jpg

And after..
20141023_220905.jpg

So i let it cycle and this is after 2 days now when i first set it up kept the filter off and power head on lpw and it juat wasnt helping
20141024_094312.jpg

So now i let it sit for 3 more days then i added 2 clown 2 the mix to help. My salinity and alkalinity was 1.02e and i was 280 no nitrites or nitrates. But little did i know tap water was unsafe
20141025_093202.jpg

20141031_102254.jpg

As you can see a week and a half into it my water was subpar. And hate to say it but i lost my fish. But why my levels where set and peco tested my water every day. It was all ok. Well nopei went to something fishy inc. Here paid 5$ for a full test and the chemicals in the tap was to high stressed them out... Here was the best part, my 50lbs of live sand and 5plbs of rocl where all no good. Had to throw it out they said.due to leaching the later out over time so bye bye 300$

I broke it all down and said lesson learned im done. Till one week later a buddy in mass was braking down a 200 gallon settup. Offered me sand and rock but told me i can boil my rock now and let it air dry. So thats what i did got RO water boiled it let it dry boiled again etc did that 6 tikes over 2 weeks. He gave me sand and some choice rocl to help start the tank, and i went out bought ro to start it off. Got a hold of a cascade 1200 filter and started it all again. This time no tap.

And holy heck did it mature faster in 2 days i added new clowns and off to cycling for close to a month

Then onto playtime as my son said.

OP
OP
Z

Zz6rpezza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the fun in over the course of a month went 3 clowns. 1 royal gramma. A scoter blenny. Watchman golby 6 lined wrass. A manderian golby. Cleaner shrimp. And snails and hermit crabs
20141031_113214.jpg
20141031_113214.jpg

But my water was never clear.. Why someone one day at a lfs told me about pure marine balls. Well i figured id give it a shot my tanks been up 4 months to date and the parameters are perfect just not clear as i want. So day one i took the filter apart added 15 balls 3 per 10 us gallons and waited so befpr
20141031_102254.jpg

And after!!
20141107_141700.jpg

Holy hell. I guess my good bacteria was low causing the amonia and water to stay clowdy. I stayed with the same media to date too. 1 black sponge, 1 whole tray of floss, and last tray is chemipure eleite carbon and the marine balls. Man did they help my aminia went from .5 to 0 my nitrates frpm 30 to 10 or 20 etc. And after a week of running them i cleaned the filter and threw more in on week 2 this tank is amazing.
20141119_120033.jpg

My phosfated or how ever its spelled..sorry. Went from .14 t0 .10 also so now im leaving it the way it is now. Just adding the fish and crabs of choice ot was a rough beguining but thanks to a good friend i regained enough ego fpr another go.

Im hoping by joining this forum i can gane some knowledge and maybe some good deals on equiptment. Seeing as i need stuff haha

Thanks for reading such a long post my next post wkll be on my copepod breeding setup as i dont have a refuge. And my mandering was eating me out of house and home monthly

OP
OP
Z

Zz6rpezza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aslo to i typed this all up on my lg g3 and sometimes my fingers hit the wrong letter so if a work looks out of place im sorry. I tryed hard hahahah

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Welcome to the forum!* I wish you smooth sailing from here on out! This is a good place to read articles and get suggestions.

OP
OP
Z

Zz6rpezza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been reading for 2 nights so far this is my first forum im on for salttanks. All k have to say is omg i want it all. Also too i learned to be frugal dont buy cheap equiptment go all out haha

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 132 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back